Going to NY for 6 months....help?

I am a Singaporean who has recently retired, fairly young...hehehe... I am considering moving to NY for a short term 6 months stay to see if it is somewhere I would like to spend a few more years of my retired life.

So, could someone advise me on the kind of living expenses and what-nots of moving to NY? Also, what is the visa requirement? Any Singaporeans in this forum currently in NY?

Thanks a lot!

J

Hi jamesloo48.

I'm not sure about the visa requirements specifically for Singapore.  Most people I know can come to the US for a 6-month visa only.  You may be able to get it extended.

As for cost of living.  Manhattan apartments are roughly $1500 and up for a studio (one large room) and $2000 and up for a 1 bedroom.  You can try to rent a room in Brooklyn or Queens, which are both close to Manhattan (the city), as they are cheaper.  You can probably rent a room for anywhere from $500-800 and up.  A few nice neighborhoods are Williamsburg & Park Slope in Brooklyn & Astoria in Queens. These places are all about 10-25 minutes to the city.  Each neighborhood has something different. 

Hope this helps!

(moderated : you are off topic)