Cost of living in Mombasa in 2018

Hello everyone,

As I said in my introductory message I'm hoping to spend some time in Mombasa (about a year). I have a limited budget of approximately 85,000 shillings per month excluding rent. Would this be enough to live on? This is for one person.

This would include hiring a maid, all food and groceries, utilities like gas, electricity and water, daily transport using taxi and/or tuk tuk, mobile phone, use of cable television with Indian and English speaking channels. Also going to the doctor when the need arises.

I'm not sure if there's anything else I should have to budget for. I have a separate amount for rent. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello Katya, I never been in Mombasa, I am here for one year in Nairobi, and I don't think the cost will be different between here and Mombasa.

Food for one person can cost between 200 to 250 $ per month and could be less if you not eat much :D.

Transportation.
Nairobi you can spend 50 to 100 $ per month.
Train between Mombasa to Nairobi 10$ to 30$.
Flight between Mombasa to Nairobi  50 to 100$.

Housekeeping people could pay here very low I would suggest to pay 100$ as decent amount money so they could live.

Utility.
Electricity 20$ to 30$
Water 10$ to 20$
Internet and indian channel (Zuku Fibre) 45$ this internet up to 30 MB + TV.
Gas 13 KG cost up front 80$ and refill 20$ safe gas and can hold up to 6 Months.
Service charge of your place including the security I assume will be include the internet.

Medical here is expensive compare to my country but to Europe I guess its less. so for example

Consultant fees some times is free and some no and the cost could be from 20$ to 50$.
Medicine cost estimated 10$ for week course.
Dental Root canal around 200$ Crown for teeth 300$ or more, Cleaning teeth 50$.
Vaccination around 30 to 50$.

Eating out

Average 10$ very fancy 20$ to 30$ lunch or dinner.
Pizza 10$
KFC 10$
Burger 10$

Entertainment.
Hiking fees (entrance) around 20$ to 30$.
National Park (45$).
Sky diving at dian (300$).
Cinema 6$ to 12$.
Safari 150 to 400$ Package transportation and food as Masi Mara, Amboseli.

So the cost summary. Could be 600$ and could be less if you are person who is healthy and not consume much.

Advice, If you are going to stay here more than one year get unfurnished place and buy furniture from expats who leave the country or buy a new and sell them before you leave. and the best thing is sharing with someone place so no risk at all for contract and despite and many things.

Karibu to Kenya :)

That's very helpful, Emperorhermes. You also pointed out two things I had not included in my budgeting: service charge and security.

Thanks also for the hint on getting an unfurnished place. What a good idea to recycle furniture from expats who are leaving.

Thanks again for all your good advice.

welcome, any time Good luck.