Cooking like a local in Malta

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Malta.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Malta? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Malta?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Maltese restaurants tend to offer quite a lot of pasta dishes, pizzas, quite a good selection of fish and the main speciality is rabbit.    Since moving here we have noticed a lot more restaurants on Gozo have starting doing curries and different Asian food as well, I think this may be an expat influence as I
have been told that the locals do not normally like hot spicey food.
Indoors we tend to have more or less the same as we did in the UK with the exception of more salads through the summer as it's quite often too hot to cook, we have not tried cooking any Maltese dishes.
We are fortunate here to have a good selection of butchers and fresh fish shops, fruit and vegetables can be bought from stalls, especially in Victoria, and the green grocery vans where the quality is often better then the supermarkets.
I have not seen any cookery lessons advertised on Gozo but there may be some in Malta.

I occasionally do my version of Ross Fil-Forn and also my version of Timpana.
I'm not a fan of rabbit and I'm not very adventurous with food so our dishes are mainly what I used to cook in the UK.

My ham and cheese sandwiches are now dramatically more complicated. It used to be ham and a slice of cheddar with 2 slices of white bread.

Now I have to think:
Baguette or Ftira?
Mozzarella di Bufala or Scamoza?
Cotto, crudo or Parma ham?

DECISIONS!

Iam sorry but alas I cannot cook at all I went on cooking course with Gordon Ramsay,and he told me half way through the course that I should stay out of Kitchen so I now have very nice cook and when I come over to retire in Malta I will hire a cook there or eat out in resteraunts

bet he wasn't that polite though.  :D