URFI CONTRACT

When signing the urfi contract, is there only one copy?
Or does the lawyer keep a copy and the wife and the husband both receive copies of the contract?

There are two copies. You and your partner/husband each receive one to keep and the Orfi contract must be in both English and Arabic - that's very important.

Good luck and congratulations :)

A serious WARNING to all foreign women.

1. The Orfi Marriage is not a valid marriage according to Egyptian or International Law.
     In other words, you can share an apartment together, and if you have children,
     you won't go to prison. You do not have any rights of residence or maintenance.

2. Orfi Marriage validated by an Egyptian Court.
    This is one of the most popular scams that lawyers invented to extort money
     from foreigners.There is no such a thing as an Orfi Marriage stamped by a court.
     The procedure done by lawyers is simply a - signature authentication -
     like for the purchasing of a flat.

3. Court marriage
    Since 2010, the only valid marriage between and Egyptian and a Foreign Citizen
    is conducted at the Ministry of Justice in Cairo. If you are taken to a court,
    you are definitely on the wrong path.

4. Marriage abroad vs. Ministry of Justice
    A marriage conducted abroad between an Egyptian citizen and a foreign
    citizen is not valid in Egypt. The only valid marriage that will secure your rights ,
    including residence is conducted at the Ministry of Justice in Cairo.
    The documentation required vary from country to country, but for all
    nationalities it is required that you bring your embassy's permission and
    proof that you are free to marry. The entire marriage procedure can take from
    1 to 4 months. If you want a legal marriage you will have to relocate to Cairo.
    There is nothing you can do from Hurghada.

i agree that the orfi marriage is illegal but we can say that it practically helps in many cases especially with foreigners who are living with Egyptians in some cities like Sharm Elsheikh, Hurghada and so on . it can help temporarily untill getting the official contract or if no marriage it's a semi protection for both especially the Egyptian partner during living together

At times people think this type of marriage will save people from sins.

Let us understand that some Egyptian 'Muslims' sign up fo a so called Islamic traditional marriage with categories of women forbidden in Islam.

A nationality is not an automatic reflection of someone's belief or religion. You will find Egyptian marrying, in fact, Buddhists, atheists, gnostics and what-so-over over the pretext of loving that woman or thinking to convert her to Islam. This marriage is void, 'baatil', not valid in Islam.

Secondly, even an Islamic or traditional orfi marriage has some conditions in order to be valid. Often, the couple just intend to have a temporary marriage (mut'aa) that is not valid in the sunni tradition.

As the intention is not that of forming a family or a permanent union, such marriage is invalid from a moral / religious point of you.

I want to know à good way to have an urfi in sharm el sheikh without paying to much money, thanks for your help

Hallo, can you help me find somebody, who made for me and my boyfriend “orfi document “ in Hurghada? Thanks for answers.

@BlueLight80 hi you seem to know an awful lot about orfi so maybe you can help. I have had an orfi for 1 year now. I researched and understood it is not legal but our intentions were to have the relationship and hoped eventually it would lead to marriage.

We have now both agreed to end the relationship but it seems our lawyer did what you mentioned as the signiture authentication. I have a green certificate that we have shown hotels etc and I have only seen 1 copy of the orfi since we signed.

I want to see both copies and see them destroyed which he is refusing and a lawyer said I can make a case against him to divorce. Is that necessary? As I want to be free to move around Egypt without the fear of being someones 'wife' as I do have business to attend to in the country so need peace of mind.

Thank you

Hello Travelgirl85,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thank you for your message.

As you may have noticed, this thread is quite old and has been inactive since 2018.

I suggest you start a new thread on the Hurghada forum so that you can ask your questions where you are more likely to be advised.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team