11500 AED p/m plus accommodation - Can I save...

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can help me to see if I'm able to save as much as I hope to.

I'm a Primary School teacher and have been offered 11,500 AED p/m plus accommodation to teach in a British Curriculum private school in Dubai.

I will be moving with my wife and she is currently looking for work in Dubai. We don't have any children.

We don't live a flashy lifestyle and don't intend to change that on moving. Our main expenses/indulgences in the U.K. are going out for dinner but we aren't fusssed about alcohol, especially at UAE prices. We spend about £60 p/m on dining out. Cinema trip monthly. And sky sports and Netflix.

I'll probably look to buy a car rather rent.

I'm hoping that even before my other half gets a job we will still be able to save about 5000 AED p/m of my salary.

So hoping to spend only 6500 aed p/m between us on household bills, phone bill, groceries, petrol, occasional cheap-average priced meals out and basic entertainment. If so, this would be similar to what we spend at the moment in the U.K.

Do you guys in the know think this is realistic? If not can you please advise where I've maybe been too naive.

All advice is welcome,

Thanks

Hello Teacherman18,

It would be very hard indeed to manage to go out for just one night on a budget of £60.00.

AED 5,000 a month would buy you a few nights out a month but they would be at fairly low level places.

After household bills etc. I doubt you will be able to save anything on the salary offered.

nikkisizer wrote:

Hello Teacherman18,

It would be very hard indeed to manage to go out for just one night on a budget of £60.00.

AED 5,000 a month would buy you a few nights out a month but they would be at fairly low level places.

After household bills etc. I doubt you will be able to save anything on the salary offered.

Thanks for your reply :)

So tough to gauge from the various questions and answers I've seen previously on the forum.

To give an equivalent, in the U.K. we spend about £30 for a meal for two at a local Indian or Italian restaurant twice per month.

When you mention 5000 aed for a few nights out what sort of thing are you referring too?

Many thanks

To give you an idea....

Irish pub - standard pub food as meal, couple of beers, couple of glasses of wine will cost you approx £60.00 (AED 300) excluding taxi's etc.

Same as above but low level Italian restaurant will cost you approx £100.00 (AED 500)

Same as above but mid level Italian restaurant will cost you approx £200.00 (AED 1,000)

High level fine dining Italian restaurant or steakhouse etc. will cost you anything from £200.00-£300.00 (AED 1,000-1,500)

Hope that helps you.

11,500aed is about the average salary if accommodation & medicals are taken care of
It is possible to save 4000-5000 if you don't live an expensive life style and trying to keep up with the Jones
One thing I will like to find out: what area will your accommodation be based , accommodation cost is the biggest element of living cost in Dubai and could be worth a lot
Yes better to buy a car you can start second hand or new
Don't believe people on here claiming to have job offer of 50,000aed/month most of this type of offers are scams

Thanks for clarifying.

ofolade wrote:

11,500aed is about the average salary if accommodation & medicals are taken care of
It is possible to save 4000-5000 if you don't live an expensive life style and trying to keep up with the Jones
One thing I will like to find out: what area will your accommodation be based , accommodation cost is the biggest element of living cost in Dubai and could be worth a lot
Yes better to buy a car you can start second hand or new
Don't believe people on here claiming to have job offer of 50,000aed/month most of this type of offers are scams

Thanks for the info and the advice :)

The location is not confirmed yet, but I've been told to expect a very good location close (15mins) from the school in a central location.  Yes medical and accommodation is covered already.

Ok the reason I asked is it maybe worthwhile to negotiate to get the accommodation allowance and find somewhere maybe not so "posh" to live..myself as example my accommodation allowance is 50% of my monthly pay I could either take it or take a 3 bedroom furnitured apartment in some expensive part of town. I choose to take the money because at the end of the day what you walk away with is your savings/investment but being it's close to the school might be better you take what is provided assuming it's negotiable in the first place

hi Dear, 6500 for a monthly expenses is more than enough specially you don't have kids.
at the end it depends of the live style you're looking for, but I do think you can easily enjoy live with 6500 dhs a month.

ofolade wrote:

Ok the reason I asked is it maybe worthwhile to negotiate to get the accommodation allowance and find somewhere maybe not so "posh" to live..myself as example my accommodation allowance is 50% of my monthly pay I could either take it or take a 3 bedroom furnitured apartment in some expensive part of town. I choose to take the money because at the end of the day what you walk away with is your savings/investment but being it's close to the school might be better you take what is provided assuming it's negotiable in the first place

Good points, I was given the impression it wasn't an option to take an allowance for a couple of years, but it's a good point and no harm in asking I'm sure.

Thanks.

RADO1 wrote:

hi Dear, 6500 for a monthly expenses is more than enough specially you don't have kids.
at the end it depends of the live style you're looking for, but I do think you can easily enjoy live with 6500 dhs a month.

Thanks for your reply :)

6500  AED is enough  only for Rent house and Dewa, Internet and maybe cover your two line Mobile phone if you rent a house for 4000 AED
The second-hand car is really cheap here, but at the end, if you are not outgoing persons maybe you can save a small amount.

Good luck