Getting life / existence certificate from Maltese institution?

Hello, my father is a UK citizen which receives a spanish pension and resides in Malta. The question is that every year the spanish government asks for a life certificate, which has to be obtained at the spanish embassy at the cost of 42 €.

Somebody knows if a maltese institution could expedit a valid certificate for reduced cost? or some other way to proof that one is alive and avoids this cost?

I know it is not a huge sum, but it seems as a rather of unnecesary cost and lost of time to do it every year.

Hi,
My father lives in Thailand and he gets his pension from Sweden and Australia. and he has exactly the same problem, but double trouble, as he has to provide 2 life certificates.
Some countries you are exempt from this like Germany and Denmark Norway, Finland and Sweden because those countries have an agreement and each government send electronically between each other., so no need to send it every year.. unfortunately these agreement are just a select number of countries and you have to come from one and live in the other.
Hopefully this will change within the EU soon.
Hope that helped in someway even if just to know others are going through the same thing..
All the best.
Aka Tommy