Traveling to Hofuf, Saudi Arabia-concerned about safety

Hi, I am not moving to Saudi Arabia, however, I must travel there to provide a training at a large private hospital in Hofuf. I will only be in SA 2-3 days. I am flying to Dammam and the hospital is picking me up to take me to the hotel in Hofuf. As a U.S. citizen, I would like to know if it is safe to travel by road from Dammam to Hofuf (mainly in terms of terrorist threats) and also is Hofuf safe for Westerners. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Hi

It is nice to have you here, I am from Palestine & I was born here, I've met many people from my university here from US, Canada, Australia. There is nothing like terrorist threats here.

As for safety, it is better if you go by train even by car it is still safe but not as in the train, usually driving here in Saudi is pretty reckless anyway it is almost 2 hours ride from Dammam airport to Alhasaa (Hofuf)

I've never lived in Hofuf, but visited it many times, it is simple city and cheaper from other cities. In Dammam & Khobar people are more used to Westerners

Feel free to approach me here or PM for any concerns

Hi mohdabdulbari,

Thank you for your prompt response. Your comments were very helpful and do ease my concerns a bit.   Unfortunately, train is probably not an option as the hospital is sending a diver to pick me up.  If I have any other questions (as long as it is not too much of a bother) I will let you know.

Take care!

I wouldn't worry about terrorist activity as such.  This used to be a concern decades ago, what with the attacks on the western compounds and all.  Right now, it isn't to that level at all and especially for someone who is just visiting.

The safety concern which is more relevant is driving.  People drive like crazy here!

Hi XTang,

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. What you say about the driving is what I also hear from a lot of other people...and I thought people in Costa Rica (where I live) drive crazy, I guess SA is at a whole different level. :)

Hi,
Welcome to Saudi. I take the train almost every weekend from-to Hofuf/Dammam. For the road trips, I travelled when no available train seats and it is all safe.
Strange that they booked for you at Dammam not Hofuf, there are a lot of hotels in Hofuf.

Hi Rawan008,

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. Actually my hotel is booked in Hofuf, I will just land at the airport in Dammam and then get picked up for the drive to Hofuf.