School, job, pets and property.

Hi all. We have decided to move to Malta next spring. I've doing some research, but any extra info is always good. Especially from expats and locals. I've been there years ago and I know it's changed quite a bit, so we will visit this year to look at areas and visit schools and employers etc.
I'd like to make the most of that time, so if anyone can give me some good starting points or info please. My main requests are:
1: a good primary and secondary school (my daughter is 9). Preferably free, but don't mind paying if it's reasonable and worth it.
2: somewhere near good shops and supermarkets.
3: house to rent at reasonable price. We would like a simple house with garden space. Don't mind a short drive to town.
4: somewhere nearby to walk the dog. Park, beach, track etc. A dog friendly sandy beach nearby too. Doesn't need to be golden beautiful  paradise. Just an open sandy area near water for him to run about on.
5: somewhere suitable for our cat. She is streetwise, but don't want to be on very busy road.

If anyone can give me any pointers, I would be very grateful.
Even if anyone can just give a shortlist of good schools, towns on Malta or Gozo that would be brilliant.
Thank you

robotdaz wrote:

Hi all. We have decided to move to Malta next spring. I've doing some research, but any extra info is always good. Especially from expats and locals. I've been there years ago and I know it's changed quite a bit, so we will visit this year to look at areas and visit schools and employers etc.
I'd like to make the most of that time, so if anyone can give me some good starting points or info please. My main requests are:
1: a good primary and secondary school (my daughter is 9). Preferably free, but don't mind paying if it's reasonable and worth it.
2: somewhere near good shops and supermarkets.
3: house to rent at reasonable price. We would like a simple house with garden space. Don't mind a short drive to town.
4: somewhere nearby to walk the dog. Park, beach, track etc. A dog friendly sandy beach nearby too. Doesn't need to be golden beautiful  paradise. Just an open sandy area near water for him to run about on.
5: somewhere suitable for our cat. She is streetwise, but don't want to be on very busy road.

If anyone can give me any pointers, I would be very grateful.
Even if anyone can just give a shortlist of good schools, towns on Malta or Gozo that would be brilliant.
Thank you

If you use the Category search box at the top of the page or the forum search box to the right at the top you will find the answers to most of your questions, which have been asked many times before.
Also scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see similar topics.

Ray

Depends what you mean by a simple house at areasonable price, rentals in Malta and Gozo have risen quite sharply so it depends on your budget.  With regards to dog friendly beaches I don't know about Malta but on Gozo dogs are not allowed especially in the holiday season.   
With regard to schooling as mentioned above this has been covered many times and it would probably be an advantage to find work first then decide what school as it could involve traveling at the busiest times, good luck with your search.

Thank you.
We were thinking somewhere outside of the city but within 20 ish minutes drive.
Sliema is an option, but may be too busy.
Marsaskala looks good, too.
I work as a carer. So some work in social care would be good.

If working as a career for older people you may need to speak Maltese, worth finding out.

Sandy beaches are no dogs allowed in season, rocky beaches tend to allow dogs, several are designated with signs saying they specifically allow dogs.

20 minutes does not get you far - island might be small but the 350 000 cars have a different oppinion about where you can get to quickly.

Sliema is very busy and not cheap and you probably would only get an apartment not a house.

Hi there, no advice (sorry) but following this thread as I have nearly ALL the same questions. We are hoping to move next Summer after my husband finishes his masters degree.

Gemmaken wrote:

Hi there, no advice (sorry) but following this thread as I have nearly ALL the same questions. We are hoping to move next Summer after my husband finishes his masters degree.

If you read all the topics you should find all the answers you require, if not please ask, good luck.

Working my way through all the threads. Thank you 😄