Visa for US Citizen wishing to relocate to Portugal

Greetings!

I need some help/advice!

I am a retired individual planning to retire to Portugal.  Since I need to present my documents and application in person to the Portuguese consulate in San Francisco, and I live 1000 miles away in Seattle, I want to be sure of a couple requirements.

1. One of the requirements is a residential rental contract.  They tell me that it should be for six months or longer.  My research on various real estate for rent sources on the internet tells me that very few landlords offer contracts for this long.  Is that correct?  Unfortunately, due to economics, I will not be able to travel to Portugal, locate an apartment and then return to the US to submit the application.  Any ideas?

2.  Proof of income.  The embassy apparently does not have a dollar amount set as a minimum.  My social Security benefits are around $1700 per month.  Will this be sufficient to get a residence visa?

Thank you in advance for your comments and ideas!

Bob

Hello, the typical residential rental contract is 1 to 5 years.  You are probably talking about vacation rentals, where landlords do better when they can rent short term at higher prices. 

As for income requirements, no one has been able to quote a figure with authority.  I have heard people throw out numbers, but they are only guessing.  However, there are plenty of people living on U.S. Social Security who have successfully obtained residency.

Hi Bob. I just saw your message so maybe you already have the information you need but my husband and I are going through the same process as you. We're also from Seattle and planning to retire in Portugal. You don't need to appear in person in San Fransisco, you can mail in your documents. We're also seeking an apartment and I've seen many places that advertise long term rentals. If you're looking in the Algarve region it may be more difficult because many people advertise vacation rentals. Also, your monthly income should be more than enough to qualify. My understanding is you only need $1100.00/month to qualify. If you want to "talk" further just let me know. Becky

Hi Becky!!

Thanks so much for your reply.

I'll get back with you in a day or two....several appointments today in preparation for the move!  Where are you in the area.....Whidbey Island here!

More later....

Bob

Hi Bob. We love Whidbey Island! We did live in Gig Harbor but we've sold our house and have been traveling this past year. We're currently house sitting in Lacey. Would love to talk with you further. Becky

Have you applied for the 4-month visa already? Because I've been informed that as of July 2017, applications can no longer be mailed to the SFO Consulate.

Bob, Portuguese law states that the tenants must honour 1/3rd of their rental contracts and the notice required for vacating a rental is also based on the length of the contract. In the cities (Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra) especially, the contracts are now generally shorter after the tenant law was reformed. It's not difficult to find rental contracts of 1-2 years, which means you can stay for 6-8 months depending on the length of the contract.

Additionally, the cities with universities will have more short-term rentals available, however, you're competing with a lot more people. August is the absolute worst time to search for a place because Portuguese holiday during this month and students/contract workers have taken up the inventory. The second-worst is December, also because of holidays and the next semester begins in January/February.

Bear in mind that foreigners will have a more difficult time finding rentals as there is no credit history. You will run up against the problem of large deposits (1-2 months or even more) and requests for a guarantor. Real estate agencies are helpful in this regard (agencies don't impose fees for the tenant, only the landlord), and you'll need them to review the contracts (a lawyer will do this, too) and translate them. All contracts must be registered with AT (Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira) and SEF will verify them.

As for subsistence funds, that is clearly stated on the SEF website in the visa section for Temporary Residence Permit:

1) Sufficient income level is set at 40 euros per day (plus 75 euros per entry):
http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Documen … t77N1.aspx

"Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12”
http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Legisla … 3_2007.pdf

Ref:

"3 — Para a entrada e permanência de cidadão estrangeiro titular de visto de trânsito, de curta duração ou admitido sem exigência de visto nos termos de convenções internacionais de que Portugal seja parte ao abrigo do disposto no artigo 11.º da Lei n.º 23/2007, de 4 de Julho, deve o mesmo deter ou estar em condições de adquirir legalmente, em meios de pagamento, per capita, o equivalente a 75 € por cada entrada, acrescido de 40 € por cada dia de permanência.”

That law is now 10 years old, but it hasn't yet been officially updated so be ready to quote it if you run into questions as to where the information came from.

Dear Becky...

Bob here from Whidbey!

Since I posted a couple of months ago, my plans have somewhat changed.  I will not be headed to Portugal initially, but rather Albania!  I've done a lot of research and watched a lot of videos and have fallen in love with the Adriatic Riveria and the Balkans!  It appears that the cost of living is about 20 or 25% led than Portugal!

I have embraced Air BnB as a source for accommodations.  No deposits, no worry about a rental contract and there seem to be many apartments available in most cities of the world!  I'm taking it one month at a time in each location and will go up into Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro and who knows where else!😺. One good thing about Albania....for whatever reason (actually it is because the US really got behind them in their quest to enter NATO)they love Americans and the regular US Passport is valid for one year instead of the 90 Days in other European countries!  And, if I do end up wanting a residency permit after that, I can apply there!

I'm flying out of the US on April 2nd, ending up in Rome.  I'll explore Italy for a couple weeks then take a ferry over to Durrës in Albania!

Well...let's stay in touch...who knows if I'll end up in Portugal!

Best Regards....

Bob Hood

Wow Bob!

Sounds like a fantastic plan! I know everyone that's ever been to Croatia really loves it. I'm surprised though about the Albanian visa requirements. They aren't subject to the 90 day Schengen visa? Would love to know more.

Good luck to you and maybe our paths will cross somewhere in Europe. We're off to South America (leaving on the 22nd) for 3 months then headed to Portugal. Btw, we just spent 6 weeks in Italy in October and November and didn't want to leave. You will love it!

Please stay in touch and take care.
Becky

Hi Becky!

Wow...sounds like an adventure too!

Nothing much more to know about Albania's US Visa 1 year validity except that they aren't in the Shenzhen zone and it's just that way....1 year!

Gotta run do will get back to you soon...

Bob

I moved to Portugal from the US and booked a 6 month rental contract online. They are hard to find during summer months, but should be easy enough to find from Oct-March or April.

I'm not sure if $1700/month is enough, but if you have some savings that would count.

Hi Roberthood

In spite my  boyfriend has 2 nationalities,  South African  and Australian, he also lived more than 25 years in Maui, Hawaii and he has done  all the process with S. Francisco Portuguese Consulate for  moving  all his  assets, goods, utensils, cars etc……to Lisbon and they were very competent and efficient.
He also applied to a Golden Visa in Lisbon and We are very happy because we find a very good solicitor in Lisbon, that take care of everything efficiently.
We already got the Visa residency and we also bought a beautiful penthouse in Chiado and we are planning to buy other properties in Lisbon and Portugal.
Actually the Administrative and legal process is very slow and difficult but this Solicitor / Lawyer works very well and is very honest and not expensive, he charges the normal fees for these services.
He Provides services as the Northern European and American way, efficient, direct, fast and honest, which is difficult to find in Lisbon.
All our foreigners friends are coming to live in Lisbon and we use this lawyer and also a real estate agency only dedicated to expat community. Very professional and efficient.
If you need additional information's, please don't hesitate in contact me:

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct