Minimum stay in portugal per year to qualify for Permanent residency?

Hi
US citizen here. I am interested to make Portugal my home and want to apply for Permanent residence in the future. I am planning to apply for the type 1 visa from US and then apply for the Temporary resident permit at SEF in Portugal. Ideally, I would like to stay for 8 months in Portugal and spend 4 months in US/elsewhere, will that qualify as uninterrupted residence for 5 years when I apply for Permanent Residency?
Would love to hear from anyone who has applied for Permanent residency here.
Thanks!

Hi,

Disclaimer - I am shooting from the hip a little bit, as I am not 100% sure of my answers. I am not an immigration attorney, and my information is worth what you've paid for it! :D

I am also a US citizen living in Portugal, and by the nature of my work I spend about half of the year outside of Portugal. I do not expect it to be an issue at all once we've been here long enough to apply for permanent residency for several reasons. 1) This is legitimately where I hang my hat. 2) This is where my wife and daughters are, essentially full-time (also not Portuguese). 3) We recently purchased property here, and now, after finally finishing the remodel, it is our actual residence.

If your trips are temporary in nature, I don't think you will have any issues; especially if you continuously maintain a residence here while away. I believe that as long as you spend 183+ days per year in country, you will be in good shape.

PM me for some more "grey area" tips.

Cheers,
Shane