Resident Visa and Dual Citizenship

Hello my name is Ryan. I am an American planning to move to Lisbon in October of this year. My father was born near Olhão in Algarve, and I have family in Portugal still. So I am kind of doing the opposite of what my father and grandparents did when they came to the U.S., I am going back to their country of origin. I will be keeping my job in the U.S., but working from home remotely in Portugal.

I have some questions about Resident Visa and Dual Citizenship:

I understand that I am eligible for Portuguese Citizenship through my father's birth right. Does anyone else have experience with this? I am wondering how long the process takes if I decide to do it while in Portugal. I was going to do it from the U.S. through the Portuguese Consulate in San Francisco, but they said the process takes up to a year. Will it be significantly quicker if I do it in Lisbon?

Also, am I able to apply for a Resident Visa while in Portugal, or does this need to be done before my trip begins?

Obrigado for your help, and I am happy to be a member of this community.

Até Proximo!

-Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Welcome on board  :)

I created a new thread from your post on the Lisbon forum so that you may get some feedbacks.

Have a look at the Visas in Portugal section of the Living in Portugal Guide, you will find some useful infos and links at the bottom of the page.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hi, Ryan,
And welcome back to Portugal.
All the information you need to find is located on the site of the Immigration and Borders Service.
- sef.pt/portal/V10/EN/aspx/page.aspx

As for the nationality, I cannot know how long does it take and if it can be quicker if you do it in Lisbon. But, I highly doubt it, the proximity of the services has nothing to do with their speed. Note that you have been told it can take up to a year, but this does not mean it will take 12 months. It is just a time limit they are giving themselves. As far as I am aware of it, it can also be done in 3 months, sometimes 6 months, depending of your luck (and their laziness), let's say.

Kind regards
from Lisbon

Hi Ryan

I have only now picked up on your post - have you sorted out your citizenship application ?