IMMIGRATION IN PORTUGAL

Hi, I have a question to ask you guys.I'm from a non EU country and I have a schengen visa to study in Germany. And I can travel to all EU states with it. What I have heard that if someone come to Portugal legally he can settle in the country with a wok permit or something. Remember Im not going to need any visa to arrive in Portugal, I already have a schengen visa. So can anyone give me the idea of the real situation about this matter. I already heard that people who entered in Portugal legally have managed to get papers within a year. They paid the tax for several months and sorted out their paper. But I couldnt find what sort of paper they received from the government. Hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers

Hello khanp.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you'll soon be helped by other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

You must ask that at Centros Nacionais de Apoio ao Imigrante (CNAI) National Centers of Help to Immigrants

informacoesATcnai.acidi.gov.pt
21 810 61 00 (Lisboa); 22 207

Linha SOS Imigrante:
Tel.: 808 257 257 (a partir de rede fixa);
Tel.: 21 810 61 91 (a partir de rede móvel).
Horário: De segunda-feira a sábado, das 08:30h às 20:30h.

Good luck

call to CNAI

[Moderated: No rude comments]

Hi - I'm non EU living in Lisbon. I applied for a temporary residence visa in Australia which allows a 4 month stay - then you can apply for an extension/permanent residence. However, you need to prove you have the income to support yourself during the period. The other option is to get a work permit but to do this you need to be sponsered by a Portuguese company (that was what I was told anyway!). You are best to apply for these visas prior to entering Portugal - mine took about 2 months to be processed.