New Tourist overstay penalty from 8 Reais to 120 Reais ?!?!

Nick,
Your best bet is to believe your girlfriend's attorney, follow the advice of the PF officer to bring the attorney with you next time to talk down the fine, and not to add a more serious offense to your relatively innocent one of overstaying by trying to game the system.  Good luck!

Hi folks,
Same problem here. I'm Belgian and recently overstayed for 40 days on a tourist visa. Upon country exit, the customs officer gave me an official looking paper saying I will be fined 4000R$. He didn't seem to particularly know the new law so I explained the "deducing days from next stay-option". He then went off for a long talk with his superiors and finally said that indeed, it will be up to ME upon RE-ENTRY to decide to go for the deducing option instead of paying the fine, and that this would be possible even when re-entering with another tourist visa (as opposed to working only with another visa type, like theDutchman1 said above). None of this was written on the paper though, or anywhere else as far as I know. And the Policia Federal in Florianópolis on the other hand had told me it would be up to the OFFICER upon EXIT to decide what it's gonna be.

So I remain skeptic, and would very much like to avoid a cold shower on my next visit. I'm thinking of re-entering by land via Paraguay... they're a lot more relaxed than in the airports.

Does anyone here by now have experience with re-entering (on tourist visa or other) after getting fined under the new law?

hey! :)

i am in the same situation, wondering if they let you leave the country without paying?
i don't really want to come back, so that would be great!
the police offered me to pay now 890 euro to stay the next 60 days,
but i prefer to leave the country without paying, can they make you pay when you leave?

thanks! x

hey! :)

i am in the same situation, wondering if they let you leave the country without paying?
i don't really want to come back, so that would be great!
the police offered me to pay now 890 euro to stay the next 60 days,
but i prefer to leave the country without paying, can they make you pay when you leave?

thanks! x

They can't make you pay from my understanding. I'm having a lawyer on it who will go to the airport and talk with some supervisers/managers and try to get my R$ 8300 out of the way. They know I want to stay so they didn't offer me what they offered to you but it's good to know it's kind of flexible so I might have a small chance of paying less.. Lawyer cost me R$1000 + R$8300 if things go south.

What has been said earlier, they prefer you to pay of course but in your case, I wouldn't bother.

Good luck!

Hey Naomi, as far as I know you only have to pay when you come back (happened to me twice).

My question is about the stamp that's put in your passport when you've overstayed and are leaving the country. Is the stamp a declaration of the multa/fine or a declaration of the overstay? In other words, can you avoid getting the passport stamp if you pay the overstay fine before you leave? And does anyone know the chances of getting this stamp? Is it like everything else - at the whim of the official processing your exit?

In all probability, the fact that you owe the fine will be noted on the computer record of your passport, and will pop up on the officer's screen the next time you enter the country and your passport is scanned, whether there's a stamp or not.  If you pay before leaving, there should be no negative note on your record.  But keep your payment documentation, just in case.

Thanks. I'm asking about the passport stamp because of consequences when traveling to other countries.

I've never seen immigration officials of a country I was entering pay any attention to what was stamped in my passport by a country I'd left.  Since it would be in Portuguese,  doubtful they'd be able to read it anyway in most countries.

If you opt to deduct the days on your next visit and not pay, chances are you´ll get the stamp on your passport and also a record on their computer. If you pay before leaving, then you have just settled the case like in court and YOUR LIABILITIES EXTINGUISHED and you should depart without the ugly stamp that they are saying.

I´ve been all over the world, and I ´ve observed and experienced that immigration officials are so busy that upon entering their country, they only look for a blank space to put their entrance stamp. Upon exit they will look for the page where they placed that stamp and put the exit stamp close to it. And then like abthree said, who would bother to read another foreign language with a difficult grammar?

It´s human nature to show an exercise of power that they can enforce over others when their authorities are challenged. So smile, because it all depends on the whim of the immigration
officer...

robal

Well, Portugal came to mind, but thanks for your responses.

Well, if they see the ugly stamp in Portugal or any Portuguese speaking country, the worst thing that can happen is only to raise a red flag that you might be a habitual overstayer. That´s it.

Then if you overstay also there, then it´s properly documented and you´ll suffer the wrath and whim of that dreadedly upset immigration officer.

Then he´ll probably put his personally invented stamp with you in the picture with a big defecated deposit on your head! Ha ha! Gotcha this time!

robal

They don't put the ugly stamp in your passport anymore, I overstayed 71 days and got a paper showing I have to pay 7100 reais. After that the girl from PF put a normal exit stamp in my passport, the one you always get.

yes it is true that increased payment and fine.
Nothing will prevent your departure from the country, only an infraction notice will be issued for your excess of term in the maximum amount of R $ 827.75. It is not mandatory to pay on departure, but can only enter the country again, from a respected period of 180 days, and with a new visa, after payment of said fine.
Regards,

Good Afternoon,

Quick question, if I leave Brazil and get married (to a Brazilian) in my own country, when I come back, do I have to pay the fine? My fine will probably be 10,000 reais, the maximum. I will have a new visa though, connected through my spouse.

Thank you

JenJean wrote:

Good Afternoon,

Quick question, if I leave Brazil and get married (to a Brazilian) in my own country, when I come back, do I have to pay the fine? My fine will probably be 10,000 reais, the maximum. I will have a new visa though, connected through my spouse.

Thank you

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
Chances are very good -- close to 100%, I would think -- that as you leave, the PF officer will put a notation on your immigration record, and that will be the first thing that pops up when you return.  So, as people are always advised here, try to return on a weekday during banking hours, with the funds in hand, so you can go to the bank in  the airport and pay, if that's required.
In your case, though, since you'll be applying for a VIPER at a Brazilian Consulate in Canada, it may catch up with you a lot sooner, when the Consulate reviews your passport during the process of granting your VIPER.  If so, you'll probably have to add the payment to the regular fees to get your visa processed.

For a citizen or person who violates the border laws he or she should be punished according to the laws of their country from which they came and would be very good if it were a detention in a few years and that would be an example for others. for the first time a prison of 3 to 5 years for the second time a prison for a colony with hard work so as to know that this should not be done. and only in this way will it be possible to finally end these types of crimes that have now occurred in the American continent between neighboring countries.
Either the governments of these neighboring countries should thus have an agreement that would allow the crossing of borders without any problem in order to avoid cases of crime.

Thank-you for your response and thanks for congratulating me on my marriage. If I get married before leaving Brazil, do you think the fine would still apply to me? Cheers

I doubt very much that your marriage will make a difference. 
If you marry here and then apply for permanent residency, the Federal Police will probably insist that it be paid before processing your application.  At best, they may roll it into your charges - depends on them.  You can ask them to waive it - I would - but don't count on it.
If you marry and return to Canada without applying for permanent residency, you'll just be another tourist to them, regardless of marital status, and all rules apply normally.

Hi everyone,
I overstayed my visa in 2016 by 38 days and got the old multa quote of about 8 a day. Sadly my receipt was stolen along with my bag in chile and the brazilian embassy in berlin cant answer me the question if i will have to pay by the old or new rate. I know i could deduct my days but i would much rather pay the old rate...?

If you left through an airport, your record at the old rate is probably in the system.  If the infamous stamp is in your passport, that backs you up, too.  I wouldn't worry too much about being charged the new rate.  Just be sure to arrive on a weekday during banking hours.
And of course, if the officer in Passport Control just waves you through, accept that you've won the Brazil Lottery for that day, and forget about the fine from 2016.

Thank you for the super fast reply!
I didnt leave on a flight sadly, just via land at the major crossing to Uruguay, Chuy. I also didnt get a big stamp, just the regular exit. But this has really gotten my hopes up as I dont want to arrive in Salvador to a massive fine :)

Make sure to have enough money with you to pay at the old rate if necessary. But it sounds like you may well just be waved through. Good luck!

Random question, when I return to Brazil, I must return during banking hours and on a weekday. Will i pay the fee at the first airport I land at in Brazil, ie: Sao Paulo, or at my destination airport? Because my destination airport bank will be closed by the time I get there.... but I will arrive to Sao Paulo at 10 am in the morning.
Thanks ,cheers

JenJean wrote:

Random question, when I return to Brazil, I must return during banking hours and on a weekday. Will i pay the fee at the first airport I land at in Brazil, ie: Sao Paulo, or at my destination airport? Because my destination airport bank will be closed by the time I get there.... but I will arrive to Sao Paulo at 10 am in the morning.
Thanks ,cheers

Yes, you'll have to pay at the same airport where you go through Immigration, which will be São Paulo.

Do you think a two hour layover in Sao Paulo is sufficient to make the payment?

JenJean wrote:

Do you think a two hour layover in Sao Paulo is sufficient to make the payment?

I've only changed from an international flight to a domestic one at GRU once, but two hours strikes me as very tight, especially if you'll need to recheck your bags with a domestic airline.

I have had two-hour windows a few times. It is very tight. Also if your plane is delayed that will also make you miss your connection. You might want to go ahead and see if you can get a later flight. Also, the airlines are good about rebooking you. so it's a call you will need to make.

Jim

Hey I'm in exactly same sauce! I really don't want to pay this bloody fine! aghhhh, also thinking of doing uniao estavel with my boyfriend but they said they're not emitting perm visas over here at the moment so the problem is, I might have to leave the country as a tourist and still get fined...did you get more info?

Hi Dutchman!
May I ask what happenedcwhen u crossed the border? Where...Foz de Iguacu?

Thanks in advance!😊

Good Evening,

My return flight arrives to Rio at 6:35 am in the morning. Do you think its possible to wait for the bank to open so I can pay the fine, or will they send me back immediately?

JenJean wrote:

Good Evening,

My return flight arrives to Rio at 6:35 am in the morning. Do you think its possible to wait for the bank to open so I can pay the fine, or will they send me back immediately?

If you land at 6:35 and don't rush to be first in line at Immigration, it will be about 8:00 AM when you're talking to your first Federal Police agent.  In your place, I'd wait for him/her to bring the fine up, and hope to be waved through.  If s/he does bring it up, I'd say, "Yes, I came prepared to pay the fine:  how  and where can I do that?"  By then, opening time for the banks will be approaching, and you'll probably stand a good chance of them having you sit in a waiting area until then, pay, and be admitted to the country.  Good luck!

Thank you so much for your prompt replies! Thank you the advice too!
Beijos

Hello guys,

Just wanna share my experience about this.

I just arrived in the Philippines (home country) last Sunday from Brazil. I've read everything here and I was very afraid of what would happen in Immigration in Sao Paulo. But then, in the immigration, they didn't ask me for anything. They just stamped my passport for exiting the country. I overstayed for more than a month, anyways. I was trying to prepare myself for a long interview and whatnot yet nothing happened. No papers to be signed, no interview, no nothing.

And to add some info, since I know some of the foreigners wasn't informed about it, before you exit Brazil, in any place you'll be coming from, make sure you had their Malaria Vaccine/Yellow Fever Vaccine at least 10 days before your flight. We had this awful situation, the ground staffs stopped us from boarding because we didn't have this vaccine. You better check this thing before the day of your flight. The vaccine is for free, you just need to go to their public hospitals/clinic then go to Anvisa to get the vaccine document. This is a VERY NEW thing from World Health Organization. Make sure you check everything before you board.

Have an awesome vacation to all of you!

Hello!

I have a question about the malaria vaccine.. because I didn't know it existed!

But I did get my yellow fever vaccine.

Are you saying that the malaria vaccine is included in the yellow fever vaccine or that you have to get two separate vaccines?

Thanks for your help

shishakix wrote:

Hey I'm in exactly same sauce! I really don't want to pay this bloody fine! aghhhh, also thinking of doing uniao estavel with my boyfriend but they said they're not emitting perm visas over here at the moment so the problem is, I might have to leave the country as a tourist and still get fined...did you get more info?

Hey Shisha, any updates on your case? Did you manage to get married? There is a Cartorio en Alameda Santos in Sao Paulo, where they only ask for foreigners CPF and Passport. No birth certificate what so ever, but I guess for PF permanent visa you will need the criminal record from your home country.

Hello everyone!
I have just read the whole topic about the new law regarding overstaying, about fines etc, but could not relate any of the answers to my situation. Overstaid about 13 months in BR in 2013-2014. Got the official paper at the airport, when I left, had the money (800R$) ready to pay right there, but they did not bother to get it. I am now planning to get back there for just one month (legal) holiday, entering BR through São Paulo. What should I expect, what can I do in advance?  Much obliged!

U pay and u r back in. Happened with me. I didnt have reais. So two policemen took me outside the immigration area to the ATM to get the 800 reais. Once paid. I received 90 days.  Everyone was very friendly.

Thanks, Mitchel!
Did this happen before or after they had changed the law? Did you have the paper on you upon entrance or anything written in your passport? Did they identify you in their database? I'm asking all these because my previous passport expired, I have a new one and I only got a paper upon my exit, in 2014.
Cheers!