Employment recommendation

Hello!
I am Ethiopian origin but never grew up there. I am from United States . I would like to live in Addis for mainly to learn language, culture and maybe potentially start a business. While I live there, I would also like to work.

I am seeking advice regarding potential work. What industry type/work type might be available considering I don't speak any Ethiopian languages? Any recommendation? Would employer be hesitant to higher someone who does  not speak their language? Is English enough?
I come from business education background, worked as a asst. manager retail at my current job.

Just fyi, I will not need any work permit, or immigration document etc. my family lives there, it will not be an issue for me to get ID card/yellow card for employment, living or business purposes.

Any advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks

hello

let me try to replay

1. finding a job is not easy, you face a high number of competition, unemployment is high and if some one employees a non ethiopian he must defend why a expat and not a local employment! That means often if you are not a "expert" people will not employ you or if so the slary level will be just as a local! For sure you speak perfect English, but you can not play the card of the combination of English and Amharic, I belive NGOs would like to employe such person, but does not count for you!

2. most non ethiopian, go for self-employment, which demands a investment licence, the criterias requested from government are high as well, for non-ethiopians min capital 200.000 USD. But due that you of Ethiopian origian (needs proving) you could get the status of a diaspora Ethiopia, which will give you a much easier way to start a business, capital request very smal, easy access to bank loans, duty free privalage for imports etc

3. socialy you might face also some confiusion, due that you look Ethiopian but do not speak the language, this was reported to me by some people in same situation as you, but mainly in the countryside. it might also be disturning if you go for low level government offices for any documents or aplications!

4. If you realy want to concentrate on finding a job, have a look at ethioojob.com. most succesfull recrutment company! The office is at Bole in snapp building 7s floor, give them a visit!

If you have still trusted people in Ethipopia, check out slowly the idea of setting up a own business, check all laws.... vist Ethiopia, visit the investment office in addis and get in contact with other diasporas (they have a kind of association in Addis with office)

Any detail questions feel free to ask me by pm

oliver

Thank Oliver for you response.

My thought on employment was mainly to connect with locals . My main objective is to learn language, culture and network with my people. Then I can think of potential business.  I am really not concerned with pay.

Business and entrepreneurship in my mind.  This is going to be long term project that I could get into. Maybe after few year when I can put together my friends/partner to invest.  Now, It would be just surveing. I could maybe do something small scale project on raising poultry chicken etc for meat/eggs.
How much does in cost to start small scale poultry farm do you think?

Hello

if this is the case you should try to contact some NGOs, this will be easy and must not be only in Addis as well Hawassa.

As well look at the internet job postings at ethiojobs.....best HP for vaccancy!

Poltry is difficult ok I am not a expert, I farm vegetable and have no idea on the profit loss, costs etc but many people are doing this!

Oliver