Agriculture business in Ethiopia

Hi this is subba rao.I would like to know Agri business in Ethiopia.I am plannin go and do the Farming.Can Any one help me?

Hello Subba Rao.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Do you have questions?
Maybe you can tell us more about your project so that we can guide you.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I can help you on that. Can you email me?

Hello yosephbet -> Do not hesitate to share some informations directly on the forum. It can be beneficial to other members as well. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Aurélie,

Thank you for the advice. I will try to post some information from now on.

Yoseph

Hi all
I am from  India
I am looking for agriculture business opportunities in Ethiopia.
Could you please tell me how I can proceed to lease the farm land?
I thank you in advance.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
Sai Ganesh

I am from Ethiopia, I am in agricultural business, I am looking for local or forgine investor who will do on share with me,
The project has
250 hectare of land, pick up duty free car, if you are interested please email me.
Thank you

I am interested in your farming business. We could do some joint undertakings and, together, we could find other partners from within or outside the country. Which region is the land located? What is it good for?

Kebede

gesese wrote:

I am from Ethiopia, I am in agricultural business, I am looking for local or forgine investor who will do on share with me,
The project has
250 hectare of land, pick up duty free car, if you are interested please email me.
Thank you

I am also interested in this type of thing. If you could PM some basic details on what and where you are planning it would be appreciated.

cheers
ubdai

I am from India and intend to invest in greenhouse cultivation of roses and other flowers to export.
I am looking for opportuniety in kenya and ethiopia. Any one is there who can assist and guide me regarding the opportinieties and risk doing greenhouse cultivation there?

I am also planning to visit ethiopia for detail project study.

Can you give location of your land and resource of water and project over view?

Ethiopia has becoe a hub for greehouse floriculture and a lot of companies are already in the business. It has become one of the most paying agricultual investment areas. There are different locations, including some close to the capital. You can start with the Ethiopian Investment Agency (check their website for detailed information).

I am personally interested in collaborative investment in Agriculture, including flower farming. I have a retired Farm Manager friend who can assist us. We can talk about the way forward if you happen to visit Addis Ababa. You can contact me at +251 911 683704.

Best wishes

Kebede

Hi Kebede,
Thanks for your reply and for your interest in floriculture/agriculture.
I have gone thru website of Ethiopian Investment Agency and have seen about the government support.

How do you intend to joint the hands with collaborative investment? Please give me your idea with pockets of fertile land available with water and electricity and communication.

We are also keen to invest in floriculture provided a chunk of nearest land is available to start with.

Can you send me your detail proposal with available resources like land, water, electricity, cost of lease, cost of labour, cost of greenhouse and your investment limit?

Can we avail long term bank loan? What shall be the rate of interest?

If you are really serious about the project, I will definitely meet you while my visit there.

Warm regards with thanks
Dinesh Patel

My contact No: india +91 9825070142
Email: [email protected]

Dear Patel

Thank for your prompt response. It also great you have checked the Agency's website. I would like to assure you that I am serious about collaborative investment in Agrciculture. We can work out on how we can join hands. To start with, and to be more specific, I can offer office spaces, accommodation for the first one or two working visits and can assist in the negotiation for land aquisition. I can also help in the feasibility studies and in public relations with all the relevant stakeholders/partners in Ethiopia. I can also assist in co-managing some of the business activities.

As I said earlier, there is plenty of land in different pockets of the country. We should aim for those areas very close to electricity, water, transport and other service facilities. The most preferred areas are Debre Zeit (45-60 km), Sebeta (15 20 km), the Rift Valley areas (150 to 250 km) from Addis Ababa.

For sure labor cost is not expensive in Ethiopia. I will find out the average wage per day/month. Cost of land lease depends on the location but I have to find out on the average. There are a lot banks (state and private) that could be interested in our project depending on the potential for its [the investment's] profitability. We need to work together to make our projects profitable and attractive for other investors, including banks.

So much thus far; how much are you/your company/ or your family willing to invest? What specific offers can you make in terms of capital, expertise, technology, market connectivity, etc? I know these things require subsequent discussions, most preferably in a face-to-face setting. If you are serious, to borrow your words, in doing business in Ethiopia, come here soon and let's explore possibilities and work out on concrete proposals. You can stay with me for this purpose.

By the way, I did my MA studies (Anthropology) in India (Poona University long time ago and have cheerful memories about your country. We can talk more on this as well. Just to give you an brief overview of myself, I have taught at universities and worked with the international organizations for more than 25 years and am familiar with the both business and policy environments. I have also experience and expertise in consultancy in a range of social development policies and programmes.

Dear Kebede..
Thanks for your indetail response..
I am definetly working on it and will miss to meet you when I visit Aadis..

Thanks again for giving me a brief idea and i will share my plan with you for sure..

Warm regards
Dinesh Patel

Great Dinesh, Once again, I wish you success in your endeavour. I hope we can build a strong and profitable parntership. Look foward to hearing from again.

Kebede

hi,my name is sara and iam also in farming businness and i can help you if you want just sending me message.thank you

Hello ghebrewolde.

It would be great if you could share your agricultural experiences and knowledge with the other members.

Thanks

Karen :)

Please send me detailed information,Iam interested in this project.

gesese wrote:

The project has
Thank you

Hello,

I am a German agronemist living and working over 12 years in Ethiopia, just to give you a understanding on my Background.

1. farming is a big field, so you should realy first find out what you want to farm (which field in agriculture) and I can only tell you  it is a taff Business and nothing for romantic People, especialy when it comes to Africa!

2. try to find your gap, do not follow other People especialy locals, you will not have a Chance to compeat with them! Just growing what the local People do, difficult, even the authoreties will not take you serious.

3. do not lissen to any one telling you that you must have a local Partner, the law allows you to run your own agro Business as well if you are a non ethiopian! You can buy in People you Need and you have your rights by law!

4. As Long you are not sure what you want to do, move inside the Country with low Profile, do not take your ideas and thoughts into a bar!

5. use officials and not Brokers or just random individuales to find Information. For excample get in touch with
a. the ethiopian agriculture Research Institute
b. ATA - agriculture Transformation agency
b. Investment Office (federal as well regional)
c. horticulture Promotion agency
d. horticulture growers and exporters association

5. never make a decission on one joice, get min 3 Options, also when it Comes to human resources or Business Partners

Oliver

on the posting of geses

could you tell us some more Details on the land, if you feel more confotable do it by private message, but I think my questions are commopn and can be replyed in public

1. altitude above sea Level
2. soil type and soil class
3. water source (well, river etc)
4. capacety of water (volume / time)
5. existing infrastructure, distnace to asphalt road, driving time to port and AA, electric power line,
6. administrative Region
7. legal personalety of the land holder ( PLC, single Held Company) and capital
8. which Kind of agriculture crop did you identify for this plot of land
9. did you already start on the ground if yes what or is it just the land Holding
10. any other shareholders inwolved

For sure this questions are important for most potential Readers of your posting!

Oliver

Many People are asking for Investors to join, often in agriculture, but I wonder why than People coming up with some serious question that they never recieve any replay, even questions which are not rocket science and sencetieve!

Oliver

My name is Firew Bekele. I am from Ethiopia and I have an interest to participate in your projects.

How will found local partener in ethiopia

What is the procedures starting ugriculture in ethiopia

I am sunil from india I have interest to invest in ugriculture sector please tell me what is the procedures of starting ugriculture in ethiopia  and cost of land lease ,labour charge ,how will found market for sale our items  please contact my  email address ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security