How did you decide to be expat?

stumpy wrote:

My parents were totally in agreement with me heading away overseas, even at a young age, and offered every encouragement to do so.

true. even my mom is "pushing me away". she said i should try to live in USA or canada. that's even farther that just staying here in the Philippines and to think that i'm the only child, i'm glad my mom doesn't really think that i'm oblige to take care of her in her old days. cause we're millenials and it's 2017. time has changed. but it doesn't mean that we dont love our family anymore, it's just the way how it supposed to be has changed.

For me it's happened I didn't even imagine to be expat but it was happened I got offer and I accepted in 2005 after that I always feel to see more and more places

To paraphrase the bard: Some are born expats, some achieve expathood, and some have expathood thrust upon them.

That's really a nice a cute reply

I didn't choose the "expat life", the "expat life" chose me lol

Very few people I think decide to become expat proactively. For most of us, the expat life comes passively as way of opportunities. If a nice opportunity rolls out, then a lot of people would give it a thought.

Sometimes it comes as an opportunity and sometimes your company starts to go oveseas, enlarges or becomes multinational. Which is more unlikely to happen often. More or less related to the proffession and sector you are in. I am in aviation / Airport management and expat since 2005. This sector is constantly growing, changing, adapting to new  technologies, demands etc.. experienced expats are always searched for to bring in their know how, and experience.

Good  and really nice

Nurture my dreams....

procella wrote:

I work in Turkey now. My salary is enough for me as one person but not a contributing job.
Before i lived in greece. i am missing greece and going there in my mind. another reason I don't like the system in Turkey.

I am 29 and have parents, married sister and some friends. My parents are in my mind...i dont want to be selfish for them.
  It seems most people have no regret to have chosen to become expat. I am contemplating it.

Procella, it has been our observations that both Hindu and Muslim cultures seem to place a disproportionate amount of "duty-to-the family" responsibility upon the female members of a family. Meanwhile , while the males sit around all day, sipping tea and gossiping, yet contributing very little, to provide sustenance to the family maintenance needs.

Procella, Be selfish! GO!.........Live your life, and do not allow anyone to make you feel guilty about making free, and independence choices regarding your life.

However, you already know that you'll need be very discrete, in the process of breaking yourself free from those tradition "shackles", that make you feel guilty about your own personhood.

Remember, the best -kept secret, is a self -kept secret. Trust only yourself, and tell absolutely nobody what you are planning to dountil after you've done it  . You can send emails to everyone, after you've made ,

Procella, I went to The Gambia to work for a year abroad, after a few months I got Malaria. I went back to the UK for treatment which was covered by my medical insurance. I was warned by the doctor not to go back to The Gambia as a second bout of Malaria might be fatal so I got out the map, drew a circle that included all countries with an approx.  4 hour flight from the UK. I headed to Turkey.First for a two week holiday to get a taste then for one year working abroad. I am still here in Istanbul, but I am planning to move to Bulgaria next year. I just 'became an expat'. No regrets!

I would disagree with this advice. Only you know your relationship to your family. If you love your family, it is completely normal to feel all sorts of emotions if you decide to move far away from them. I regularly feel a little guilty because I moved away from my parents and my brothers never stepped up to care for them. (Right now "care" simply means occasionally visiting and allowing them to see their grandchildren.)

I am trying to convince my parents to move to Bulgaria, so they can be around me and my kids and I can take care of them when they get older. We'll see if that happens or not.

The advice to be selfish and do what you want to do, regardless of how other people feel or your connection to them is... well, honestly, the way many "expats" seem to live. And those that follow that creed often seem to be lonely and bitter or intoxicated a good portion of the time. Humans are social creatures, and to cut ties without looking back can be devastating to the psyche.

I am not at all recommending that you don't become an expat. For all I know your parents are abusive and you hate your home life. In that case, yes, take the above advice. But otherwise, realize that feelings of guilt are completely normal. But you can decide to move abroad and still cherish your family ties.

Also realize that there are ways to remain connected to your family- through skype, by visiting etc. And there are ways to be supportive of your family even if you're not there. I still help my parents with technological issues and occasionally I send them "care packages" just to let them know I love them. I talk to them almost every day.

stumpy wrote:

My parents were totally in agreement with me heading away overseas, even at a young age, and offered every encouragement to do so.

The same with mine, even my parents wished they had seen the world when they were younger. But they made up for it in their later life.

I will be moving to Egypt in April., have ticket and will fly.  Leaving the US.  Since this last election and to be honest this place scares me. Warmongers  I'm not Muslim & have my own beliefs but many hate those who do not look  think, or believe like them.  Suppose to be a free country but it is their way or highway.  And if you don't go along with them they would like to take your jobs, etc.  And with Tr... in place I really see this happening in the near future. Country has turned hateful. And yes many will use the poor to increase their own wealth. Dog eat dog.  If you are willing to sell out your fellowman for a little bit of wealth that you have to work your ass to maintain then come to the US. Looks like the garden of Eden but I really believe it is only a matter of time before God judges them.  In any case this is my opinion.

Awantabexpat wrote:

I will be moving to Egypt in April., have ticket and will fly.  Leaving the US.  Since this last election and to be honest this place scares me. Warmongers  I'm not Muslim & have my own beliefs but many hate those who do not look  think, or believe like them.  Suppose to be a free country but it is their way or highway.  And if you don't go along with them they would like to take your jobs, etc.  And with Tr... in place I really see this happening in the near future. Country has turned hateful. And yes many will use the poor to increase their own wealth. Dog eat dog.  If you are willing to sell out your fellowman for a little bit of wealth that you have to work your ass to maintain then come to the US. Looks like the garden of Eden but I really believe it is only a matter of time before God judges them.  In any case this is my opinion.

How is ANY of that better in Egypt???

Awantabexpat wrote:

Dear Madam, here's a reliable FYI, to seriously consider. ~ Relocating to Egypt, from the U.S.A., is akin to jumping "out" of the frying pan, and "into" the fire, these days.

Awantabexpat wrote:

In my opinion, it's not such a good idea for westerners to move to Egypt at the moment.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/55cf24e840f0b61371000021/150812_Egypt_jpeg.jpg

Sorce : https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

SimCityAT wrote:
Awantabexpat wrote:

In my opinion, it's not such a good idea for westerners to move to Egypt at the moment.

[img align=C]https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/55cf24e840f0b61371000021/150812_Egypt_jpeg.jpg[/url]

Sorce : https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

And that advice, especially applies to specific westerners, in particular.

How on earth do you view that as academic re-framing? It was a personal, anecdotal piece of advice, which happened to be contrary to yours.

And yes, I have experience in Muslim cultures. I just don't choose to view the gender roles of the world through a narrow definition from my home country.

Lets get back on topic please.

stumpy wrote:

Lets get back on topic please.

What was the question again Stumpy:/:D

hello fellow expats,

Learning other culture and their customs is a great adventure. Traveling is refreshing. Meeting people with different nationalities is awesome. High paid salaries will be earned in other countries. Those were the reasons that made me decide to be an expat. :)

I want to raise up my children  in Australia but I really have no experience and Knowledge about Australia. Can someone help me?

Levannhien wrote:

I want to raise up my children  in Australia but I really have no experience and Knowledge about Australia. Can someone help me?

You should get consolation with local agencies, there are many agents around your city to help you.

Levannhien wrote:

If you know nothing about the country, why would you want to move there???

i don't want to sound rude but you sound very naive...

Australia is a very tough and strict country to be allowed to live in.

You must meet a lot of criteria and rules before they would even interview you for consideration
and even then you probably only stand a 5 to 10 pct chance of being allowed to move there..

Most countries will not allow you to decide 'you' want to live in their countries.

There must be certain  reasons and yours would not stand a chance unless you are a very wealthy
individual and then you would be able to seek an investment visa.

If all countries were free and easy to move and live in we would have most of China living in either
Australia, USA or Canada but thank god there are rules and regulations.

sorry to disappoint you ....

Basically poor or none existentsnt job possobilities in my field in my home country forced me to leave. First I left as young graduate and landed two internships abroad. One in Vienna another in Belgium. The second time i left by the second dip of the recession. When my home country had only 800 open positions for the whole state on the main job searching website. I am afraid i will never return because i never ever want to be without a job.

kojidae wrote:

I would disagree with this advice. Only you know your relationship to your family. If you love your family, it is completely normal to feel all sorts of emotions if you decide to move far away from them. I regularly feel a little guilty because I moved away from my parents and my brothers never stepped up to care for them. (Right now "care" simply means occasionally visiting and allowing them to see their grandchildren.)

I am trying to convince my parents to move to Bulgaria, so they can be around me and my kids and I can take care of them when they get older. We'll see if that happens or not.

The advice to be selfish and do what you want to do, regardless of how other people feel or your connection to them is... well, honestly, the way many "expats" seem to live. And those that follow that creed often seem to be lonely and bitter or intoxicated a good portion of the time. Humans are social creatures, and to cut ties without looking back can be devastating to the psyche.

I am not at all recommending that you don't become an expat. For all I know your parents are abusive and you hate your home life. In that case, yes, take the above advice. But otherwise, realize that feelings of guilt are completely normal. But you can decide to move abroad and still cherish your family ties.

Also realize that there are ways to remain connected to your family- through skype, by visiting etc. And there are ways to be supportive of your family even if you're not there. I still help my parents with technological issues and occasionally I send them "care packages" just to let them know I love them. I talk to them almost every day.

There is a misunderstanding that about my parents. My parents aren't abusive and they always help me financially and emotionally.I am grateful to have them like most people are.

The main issue that i am a adult and i would like to be by myself. Some of my reasons for becoming an expat that i don't want the general system in my home country and my current job isn't good for me.i hardly adapt my works even 5 months have passed I experienced the life abroad and i want it back. I prefer to live in a country like cyprus and greece etc. where close to Turkey.

Got my intern overseas then got a temporary job offer few months after graduation, got a permanent job offer from the company I had my intern until I found a home, a new family overseas.

Basically to explore new opportunities and to interact with people from different backgrounds and cultures. It's the sense of "adventure" what drives me and keeps me motivated.

Germany is one of the dream destinations for a number of reasons(not in order of importance) . First , the quality of life. The facilities which are available to people , the cities , the transport, roads everything is well organised. Second, education. There are Universities with high standard of education and because of the cost of education is also less, many people prefer to do there master from a German University. Third , the above two points leads to people searching jobs in Germany. There are some sectors in which Germany is most dominant. Specially the automotive sector. Mercedes Benz , BMW , Volkswagen... A number of car manufacturers to follow. German work culture is also pretty great.

wayneklapko wrote:

i don't want to sound rude but you sound very naive...

Australia is a very tough and strict country to be allowed to live in.

You must meet a lot of criteria and rules before they would even interview you for consideration
and even then you probably only stand a 5 to 10 pct chance of being allowed to move there..

Most countries will not allow you to decide 'you' want to live in their countries.

There must be certain  reasons and yours would not stand a chance unless you are a very wealthy
individual and then you would be able to seek an investment visa.

If all countries were free and easy to move and live in we would have most of China living in either
Australia, USA or Canada but thank god there are rules and regulations.

sorry to disappoint you ....

Speaking to the naivete tendency ~ being "thank god for rules and regulations" , eh? 

FYI ~ M-O-N-E-Y is "god", and will readily get any foreigner a long-term, and/or permanent residency status, in nearly ever country on this planet, And, that truism particularly applies to AU, CND, NZ and, of course, Yankeeland. :cool:

i would like to learn a new language and contact  new friend

I love to travel and meeting nice people

i like too

long story, basically i went to thailand for a month in nov 2016 and when i got back to the UK i was so unhappy, so i went online to look for job opportunities in thailand, got offered a teaching job in shenzhen, china, and by jan 10 2017 i was in china working. the uk was bad for jobs and the price of living left you with no money at the end of the month. so here i have been since jan 2017. only on a 2 year visa but hope to renew that if not i'll look a bit closer to home like france or spain maybe, who knows. i'm not a seasoned traveller, only been on holiday 4 or 5 times. i have no ties and this is my time now. time to explore a bit of the world and cultures. quite enjoying it

How did I ended up as an expat? I was shipped away as a teenager from Asia to Scandinavia where I completed my highschool. There I made friends from Rio to Santiago to Laval in Canada to Houston, made friends from Tokyo, Berlin, Venice, Paris. Since then I have lead a normadic life - studied in various European countries and worked in south of Europe and then it was time to go back to my roots. Back home, I felt something was missing, I love my country and Asia but I am a global citizen, so I ended up as an expat in the Middle East for 8 years and a year in Cambodia and recently opportunities came knocking to be based between Cambodia and Vietnam and I grab it. I love living in different countries, learning new cultures I take it as a great adventure.

funnyoldworld wrote:

long story, basically i went to thailand for a month in nov 2016 and when i got back to the UK i was so unhappy, so i went online to look for job opportunities in thailand, got offered a teaching job in shenzhen, china, and by jan 10 2017 i was in china working. the uk was bad for jobs and the price of living left you with no money at the end of the month. so here i have been since jan 2017. only on a 2 year visa but hope to renew that if not i'll look a bit closer to home like france or spain maybe, who knows. i'm not a seasoned traveller, only been on holiday 4 or 5 times. i have no ties and this is my time now. time to explore a bit of the world and cultures. quite enjoying it

Great you made it, can you share the online website you used to apply. thanks

i used findworkabroad.com

funnyoldworld wrote:

i used findworkabroad.com

Thank you

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR