How did you decide to be expat?

Hi,

i wonder that what kind of circumstances caused you have left your place and become expat?
Are you happy with living in your current place as expats?
Did you leave anyone as you move abroad?

For me it was a matter of livestyle.  I could continue to work and maybe be healthy enough to retiure one day.  Or cash is all in, down size and move to the islands where life stye slows down and cost of living is 40% less than what I was used to....took me about a minute to decide and now 12 years later I have not regretted it one bit.

Bob K

to have a better life

which i'm gladly i did move out from my country, be crazy enough to bring limited money and had no job nor upcoming interview back then but i do really have a better standard of living now.

i left everyone. my family, my friends, my fiance (now my ex :P )

but seeing that as part of my life journey, i'm really glad that i did.

Bob K wrote:

For me it was a matter of livestyle.  I could continue to work and maybe be healthy enough to retiure one day.  Or cash is all in, down size and move to the islands where life stye slows down and cost of living is 40% less than what I was used to....took me about a minute to decide and now 12 years later I have not regretted it one bit.

Bob K

where is the plae cost of living %40 less than? and what kind of job?

amanda.O wrote:

to have a better life

which i'm gladly i did move out from my country, be crazy enough to bring limited money and had no job nor upcoming interview back then but i do really have a better standard of living now.

It was a radical decision of you. Nice to be you glad and worthed to do it. what was your age when you decided and did it?

Have you ever felt guilty because of you left them?

From my profile page: 

I have lived in Thailand my entire adult life. Soon after completing my studies in 1977, I moved to Bangkok. I was not sent here by military, government, god or corporation. I just bought a ticket and boarded a plane with no real plan. I had no idea what I would do or how I would stay here. Somehow it all worked out. I have been treated well by Thais and Thailand. You will hear no horror stories from me about this place I call home.

procella
We moved to the Dominican Republic 12 years ago and by buying local products for the most part our costs at the same lifestyle are about 40%  less than in the US.

As an example we went to dinner last Friday night.  We each had a glass of wine, a bottle of water, crab cake appetizers (some of the best we have ever had), a salad, I had fish and chips and my wife had a grilled sea bass.  Our total bill including tax and tip came to the equivalent of $34.25 US.  Try eating like that in the States!

Another example was we needed a condenser replaced on an AC unit and a gasget replaced on our pool pump. Total cost ....$21.50 including parts the plumbers time!

Or replaced the belts on our lawn tractor, and sharpened the blades.  Cost....$15 US.

So yes we live way cheaper here than back in the US>

Bob K

Sorry as to job... We are retired.

Bob K

procella wrote:

where is the plae cost of living %40 less than? and what kind of job?

If money is the only deciding factor, then there are plenty of places that cost 40, 50, 60, 70 or even 80% less than rich countries - check numbeo.com. However, you usually get what you pay for - the things that make life comfortable are available only where people can afford them (due to salaries being much higher, too). I prefer to live in a developed place with good quality of life, and found that in the end it pays off financially, too - at least as long as you're working. And then I can afford an occasional "budget" adventure to in a third world location as well.

Bob K wrote:

As an example we went to dinner last Friday night.  We each had a glass of wine, a bottle of water, crab cake appetizers (some of the best we have ever had), a salad, I had fish and chips and my wife had a grilled sea bass.  Our total bill including tax and tip came to the equivalent of $34.25 US.  Try eating like that in the States!

At a household income of approx. US$350/month (about 10% of the USA), such a meal would be unaffordable to the average resident of the Dominican Republic. So this is only possible because you take your first world income (or savings) and spend it there.
This is, of course, a possibility, but not for a young person who still needs to earn his living wherever he is.

I work in Turkey now. My salary is enough for me as one person but not a contributing job.
Before i lived in greece. i am missing greece and going there in my mind. another reason I don't like the system in Turkey.

I am 29 and have parents, married sister and some friends. My parents are in my mind...i dont want to be selfish for them.
  It seems most people have no regret to have chosen to become expat. I am contemplating it.

Many here who are Expats and have to "earn" a living work on line.
And there are many Dominican Families eating in the same places we do.  Yes maybe not the average Dominican worker but there are many local Dominicans that earn a decent wage.

Bob K

Since 5 years faced with several problems with justice and government. At the end of the  day recognized that I lost my trust to my country and no reason to stay is definitely a good reason to go. That's why I purchased my dream house (a little cottage with a little garden) around Danilovgrad. Gave my words to my current company to stay until the end of the project which means app within 13 months will completely move to Montenegro.

Wachara wrote:

Hmmm.... :( . I remember teetering back and forth being pushed by the winds of exhaustion and perseverance in my motherland. Will I quit and move on or dig in and push forward? its kind of a loaded question. Society has taught us that we cant fail. We need to finish what we started. I became an expat because i needed to strive for perfection, does perfection actually exists? i cant answer that for you. its something you're going to decide for yourself. let the wind blow where it will. don't fight either force. You will end up you're supposed to be.   

Wachara

Actually i am not looking for the perfection. Politics, education and the mentality of some people are not suit for me in my country... planning for being expat in 2018 or 2019 but still some questions...

I just need to read some experiences.

I work abroad and keep travelling all the time.

I want to see and meet different kinds of people:)
Grow professionally
Financial stability

I'm a digital pimp traveling the world on other peoples money

The opportunity was too good to refuse! x

I became expat because I want to learn from u people

Marriage.

I thank you procella for this question, it makes the Expa.com a worthwhile site. It gives people who are thinking of making the move some answers.

As for me, I was lucky enough to be able to travel when I was younger and see some of the world. But my final destination it was down to love  :heart: In my wildest of dreams would have thought of settling down in a new country. 9 years on, and I am loving every part of it.

stevefunk wrote:

I'm a digital pimp traveling the world on other peoples money

it's a crime in my opinion. ashamed of you...

I didn't really intend to become an expat. I volunteered for the Peace Corps (I'm American) back when you did not get to choose which country you were sent to. They sent me to Bulgaria. Peace Corps is supposed to be a two-year commitment, and I had a five year plan. I would return to the states, get my master's in outdoor education, and move to Missoula, Montana. I left behind a boyfriend, and although we were in love, we were not planning any sort of future together.

While I was in Bulgaria, things changed. My perspectives changed. My way of life changed. At the end of two years I decided I was not quite ready to return to the U.S. I enrolled in a study abroad program for a year in Istanbul, Turkey to finish my bachelor's degree. I intended to spend the year writing and pursuing casual relationships. (I hadn't dated much in Bulgaria- I just didn't find anyone I clicked with, but every time I visited Istanbul I always had a sparking romance going).

About three weeks before I left Bulgaria for Turkey, I met my now husband. (We were working together at a summer camp). We fell in love immediately and he moved to Istanbul with me. Halfway through the year, we realized that if we wanted to keep dating, we would have to get married. So we got married. A spouse visa to the US is expensive and almost a two-year wait, so we decided to stay in Bulgaria (where the visa was free, the residence tax reasonable, and the wait time was 90 days).

We now have two amazing children and a young but blossoming company in Bulgaria. I love my life here. But it was not planned at all. It was a matter of having the courage to say yes to each opportunity that came my way.

To be clear- I gave up a lot to be here. I had to change careers completely (my career doesn't really exist here), I gave up getting my masters and doctorates (because in the US I could get a fellowship to pay for school but here I cannot). I gave up a strong, supportive alternative community. (I am polyamorous and LGBTQ, so not having that in Bulgaria is difficult). But in the end, it has been worth it because I have my family.

I grew up reading National Geographic and wanted to see the world hidden in the pages and behind the television. So, I planned for around a year. Bolstered my CV with anything necessary and served my notice when I decided on what it is I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

I wanted to explore and broaden my horizons...in a nutshell.

Interesting story and thanks for sharing. 

I too lived in Egypt some time back and found it more rewarding than here in the States.  So I really want to go back. Sure here you can acquire stuff but is that living?  I'm older now and really want to retire.  I have some social security, could rent out my place, and even work some if I have internet.

wow nice story

I really never thought about this because I think everything happened for a reason so no regrets also but it's really a good question,I will think on it

wow that is inexpensive.  What is rent and living expenses like? Are they open to retirees?  have some monthly retirement money, plus thought I could rent out my place here, and in sales and marketing for a national company if I have  high speed internet could even work some.

When you are attached to a religion like Islam, it is almost impossible to think of your life choices being entirely "your" decisions. However, prospective financial stability and growth is a popular driving force in migration business, and that's what drove me too. I have been an expat in Riyadh for more than 5 years now and I feel safe, financially secure and happy (Alhamdulillah). Some may say it is a dry place to live in, but that is a plus for a bookworm like me. All in all it has been a very soothing and rewarding experience to be an expat, which is making me stay longer than I thought I would. As I have no immediate plans to depart back or to another country, certainly I will be loving this place for many coming years (Ins Sha Allah).

expatopatronum wrote:

When you are attached to a religion like Islam, it is almost impossible to think of your life choices being entirely "your" decisions.

Off-topic here, but I have to say this:
Of course dogmatic hardliners of many religions tell you this, but no reasonable God would have made us smart enough to make our own decisions and then prevented us from making them.
Reality is that we are free to do whatever we want, as long as it is within the moral and social framework we live in. The fanatics just cannot deal with such freedom and therefore disallow it to themselves and others. They are wrong!

A sense of adventure sent me on the expat path. And coupled with being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the opportunity to do so.
That sense has still not quite worn off yet !!

beppi wrote:
expatopatronum wrote:

When you are attached to a religion like Islam, it is almost impossible to think of your life choices being entirely "your" decisions.

Off-topic here, but I have to say this:
Of course dogmatic hardliners of many religions tell you this, but no reasonable God would have made us smart enough to make our own decisions and then prevented us from making them.
Reality is that we are free to do whatever we want, as long as it is within the moral and social framewrk we live in. The fanatics just cannot deal with such freedom and therefore disallow it to themselves and others. They are wrong!

I really thinking in the same way to reply and appreciate your reply

I don't believe you decide to be an expat rather it chooses you.

I came to Indonesia after a year of travelling the world and with the aim of having a years experience doing something totally new and different.

Anyway, 3 weeks in and I didn't want to leave. Almost 11 years later and it's almost like I can't now as this is home, life et Al.

After all this time I still don't regret taking the chance of coming here and whilst living in Indonesia isn't always the expat uptopia people yearn for, it does for now and at least I've got the weather.

aryavrat wrote:

I really never thought about this because I think everything happened for a reason so no regrets also but it's really a good question,I will think on it

Everythimh happened for a reason? So why some reasons ruin people?

Because it's we who give reason but every coin has two sides. We must look the other side too so might be we will not feel that it is ruined

lukereg wrote:

I don't believe you decide to be an expat rather it chooses you.

I came to Indonesia after a year of travelling the world and with the aim of having a years experience doing something totally new and different.

Anyway, 3 weeks in and I didn't want to leave. Almost 11 years later and it's almost like I can't now as this is home, life et Al.

After all this time I still don't regret taking the chance of coming here and whilst living in Indonesia isn't always the expat uptopia people yearn for, it does for now and at least I've got the weather.

apa kabar? :D i'm glad you love Indonesia. i miss home though. and i miss bubur ayam for sure. :D

procella wrote:
amanda.O wrote:

to have a better life

It was a radical decision of you. Nice to be you glad and worthed to do it. what was your age when you decided and did it?

Have you ever felt guilty because of you left them?

yeah. i was crazy. i still am. hahaha. i was 24 when i decided to move out from Indonesia.

no, i have never ever felt guilty that i left them. cause it brings pride to my mom that she can tell her friends, her families that her daughter is working abroad and live a good life by my own. i even saw it in her eyes when she visited me and saw where i live. it's priceless. :)

Happy for you amando.O

My mom cried when i was leaving my homeland for 3 months i felt guilty somehow but I dont have current friends who i meet often in my city. i only have parents and married sister to leave.
I have a job that not contribute me too much.

My parents told me that kids are supposed to look after their parents when they need and old.
that's why i am confused for settling abroad.

procella wrote:

My parents told me that kids are supposed to look after their parents when they need and old.

How selfish they are: Preventing their kid from seeing the world, learning other cultures and personally growing - just because they don't want to be alone!?!
If they are so old and frail that they cannot live alone any more, yes then you must arrange somebody to look after them. But it does not need to be yourself (as by then you should have your own family and give priority to them). There are good options for home care or facilities that cater to old age needs!

My parents were totally in agreement with me heading away overseas, even at a young age, and offered every encouragement to do so.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR