How smooth is the Cedula process nowadays?

Do we still have to go to Bogota to get a cedula to go along with our TP7 visa?

Last year me and the person doing the paperwork for me got a total runaround about the cedula.

We got the visa but Migration (DAS) in Barranquilla said they could no longer do it locally (as they had the first time) and for some reason all my helper got from the online Cancilleria site was excuse after excuse.

That's why I ask. I live in Medellin now and my TP7 expires in mid January so I need to plan ahead. Part of my problem of getting to Bogota last year was monetary. I no longer have that problem. But still....I'd prefer to not have to take an out-of-town trip if I don't have to.

Anybody had any experience in this area lately?

Regards,
Art

wanderingsalsero wrote:

Do we still have to go to Bogota to get a cedula to go along with our TP7 visa?

In a word, no.  You can specify one of many possible cities around La República for cédula pickup when you register your visa and apply for the cédula.

I applied for my TP visa and subsequently for my cédula while in Quindío this year .. and requested pickup of the cédula (while still  in Quindío) for Medellín .

FYI, during the visa application process, there was a required step in Bogotá.  However, I did not have to go there personally, as there are agents who handle this step for a fee that is way below what a plane ticket and overnight stay in Bogotá might cost.

cccmedia, now in Departamento de Nariño

wanderingsalsero wrote:

We got the visa but Migration (DAS) in Barranquilla said they could no longer do it locally (as they had the first time) and for some reason all my helper got from the online Cancilleria site was excuse after excuse.

Art got messed around by the Migración office in Barranquilla .. and there's no guarantee that another Migración office won't screw up his or another Expat's paperwork in the future.  Or give out wrong information.  Even if one has a "helper" as Art had.

The better you know your rights (including the right to pick up a cédula in a second city) .. and the better your Spanish-language skills, the more likely you can avoid some of the usual nonsense -- like trips to Bogotá or extra trips to the Migración office in whatever city.

cccmedia in Nariño

Never had an issue with either of my cedulas. But I did have to go to the Medellin migration office to pick them up. But as previously mentioned here there's several agencies that'll handle all the stuff from Bogota for you at a, imho reasonable rate,  and def less pain in the butt and cheaper than flying to Bogota.

All answers are MUCH appreciated and very encouraging. Many thanks to all. I think I was either (1) dealing with some 'dorks' in Barranquilla (possibly my helper) or (2) the system was still new (January 2017) and there were some glitches in it still.

Art