Mexican country side

I would like to move to a small village in Mexico where the air is fresh and no pollution. I want to grow my food and have a slow peaceful life. I am not a big fan of museums or things like that. Just want some greenery and peace. What would be the best place to move in Mexico?

Although Mexico has been growing organic for some time, the concept due to new regulations has strengthened. There are a number of organic growing areas to choose from. You might find this organization useful for Ideas. http://www.wwoofmexico.org/ and this article interesting.

Thank you so much! Great website. I was not aware of its existence.

De nada... :)

check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIMQbWudYjk
that guy grows his own stuff, maybe you can contact him
and Jerry Brown's channel is great for Mex info

i would guess you need to think about climate and water. if you are growing food to eat and you want stuff year round, you are going to have to find the right climate and have reliable water supply

good luck, living the dream

That's is hugely broad question. Mexico is a very large country and there are many, many small Mexican villages. I'll put the Lake Chapala area on your radar only because I already live here so I know it is rural. Do not think about living in Ajijic but in one of the many outlying villages along the lakeshore. You can live the rural lifestyle and still be within striking distance to Ajijic or Guadalajara and the Guadalajara International Airport if needed.

Thank you so much! This video is exactly how I want to live.

Itobys wrote:

yep, it sounds idyllic. i've become a big fan of a low footprint lifestyle, too many years of buying stuff just to break the boredom.

my only concern i think, is growing stuff to eat is more complicated than many people expect. i think getting stuff year round is the hard part. everything wants to be ready all at the same time. i've tried growing my own stuff here in Thailand but its just too hot for most things, like salad, etc.

I think someplace in the mountains like Chapala or SMdeA would have a better climate for growing and year round water?

Actually Steve,

they are growing everywhere pretty much. I just went to a product fair in Merida last weekend and found lot's of people who were growing and developing products. I bought organic  coffee and chocolate from Bastion. Chiapas coffee. Naturally sourced cosmetic products made in Mexico from Natura, Several products grown organically from various cities  Yucateco. There were no products from LC or SMA, Puebla or any city north of this area. there was Wonderful local honey also. So you can have beach and organic food. A friend of mine is growing organic just 30k from here.

Oh yes, it's a lot of work alright, but if you focus on ecological sustainable demeter biodynamic farming, like wine growers often do, it is doable. Water is conserved with biodynamic farming , there is a rainy season and of course humidity.

I just grow oregano, orchids, Moringa, and rosemary in pots :lol: . Can't branch out much because the owner of the property used black plastic and white rocks to ..uh.. make things neat. No she is not a gardener, or farmer.

steveh2112 wrote:
Itobys wrote:

yep, it sounds idyllic. i've become a big fan of a low footprint lifestyle, too many years of buying stuff just to break the boredom.

my only concern i think, is growing stuff to eat is more complicated than many people expect. i think getting stuff year round is the hard part. everything wants to be ready all at the same time. i've tried growing my own stuff here in Thailand but its just too hot for most things, like salad, etc.

I think someplace in the mountains like Chapala or SMdeA would have a better climate for growing and year round water?

The climate is great in Chapala for growing but it's also great for the bugs which eat all your hard work. Having said that, there is a year around organic garden right outside my window on the the property I live on, 'Huerto Organico Chapinaya' which grows produce for some of the local restaurants.

The best climate is around Cuernavaca, the city of eternal spring.