Third-party motorcycle insurance

Hi, I arrived in Da Nang this week and have been offered a job today, so now it's time for me to find a motorbike! I'll be looking for a Honda Super Cub C50, having loved my old C90 back in the UK.

I have medical insurance, but need to buy third-party insurance -- how can I do this? I've done some research online and it seems the insurance is compulsory, but I've read conflicting reports on whether foreigners can buy it without a Vietnamese license? I won't need a license for a sub 50cc.

Foreigners who buy a 50cc motorcycle do not need a motorcycle license
How is Third-party insurance  like ?
how do you want to buy them and for whom? I do not quite get it

Isn't this essentially the same question that you asked just eight days ago?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=718178

I think your problem in getting a response could be the terminology.  Ironically, in this case a local with his/her own insurance agency could actually be the best source of information but our rules will have none of that unless they are very careful about how they phrase their answer.

What exactly do you mean by "third-party insurance?"  Do you want insurance that will pay your victim if you run someone over or do you want insurance that will pay your medical bills in the more likely event that someone runs over you and runs away or has no insurance of their own?  I don't have an answer for you, but I do think that you need to clarify the question.

Thanks for your replies. Since I posted that last question, I did a CBT course in the UK which means I could legally ride a sub 125cc bike in the UK, and as a result I was able to find a medical insurance policy that will cover any personal medical expenses that might occur as a result of me riding in Vietnam.

However I need third-party insurance, by that I'm referring to this:
http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/13786/mo … in-vietnam

Like you say, it's the insurance that pays the victim (the third-party) in the case of an accident.

From what I've read it seems like most foreigners don't bother with this but I'd rather just see if it's possible rather than have to pay a lot of money in the (hopefully unlikely) case of an accident

It's very easy. You just ask a local to take you to a place that sells the insurance, this is available in many different places. You will need the Blue Card which has the details of the bike on it.

You will see signs at shops saying ...Bảo hiểm xe máy, it costs about 80,000 vnd per year.

colinoscapee wrote:

.. it costs about 80,000 vnd per year.

I always thought this was a farce.  At only 80,000 a year how could they possibly pay out on claims?  Of course the likely reality is that they don't, at least not unless really pressed.

That's the "real" insurance.  Consider this.  Whenever we went south on holidays there would be people with signs along the side of the highway selling insurance.  My wife told me that there was no actual insurance.  Buyers were just getting a card that was good enough to satisfy the cảnh sát when they caught you in one of their money making ventures that seemed to be more prevalent just before holidays.

THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

.. it costs about 80,000 vnd per year.

I always thought this was a farce.  At only 80,000 a year how could they possibly pay out on claims?  Of course the likely reality is that they don't, at least not unless really pressed.

That's the "real" insurance.  Consider this.  Whenever we went south on holidays there would be people with signs along the side of the highway selling insurance.  My wife told me that there was no actual insurance.  Buyers were just getting a card that was good enough to satisfy the cảnh sát when they caught you in one of their money making ventures that seemed to be more prevalent just before holidays.

That's pretty well it.

If you don't have the insurance card this gives the beige mafia more power to fine you.

Thank you colinoscapee, I'll do that once I buy a bike