Changing Employer in Belgium

Hi Everyone,

I have been working in Belgium for 2.5 years now, I will be changing my employer end of this year,
they asked for the following documents, but I have researched online and ended up more confused than I was. It will be great if someone can answer these specific questions of mine,

1. Degree Certificate, does it have to be apostilled by MEA India?
2. Can I get a medical certificate ? If I can get it from here what is the procedure?

Thank you!

1. No
2. Any general practitioner can give you one. Check if they have a specific format for the work permit application.

Anyone can give details for Economics job Belgium forum!

Thank you Aneesh. This really helps.

Dear Aneesh,

I found out that there is a specific format in which I have to get the medical certificate in.
But also they told me that the certifcate has to be validated by the Belgium Consul General.

Can you please let me know if you have some information on that ?

Thank you in advance!

Deepak

There may be a format (for example: hhttp://werk-economie-emploi.brussels/documents/16195/54918/certificat-medical-travailleur-etranger.pdf/13368fba-b0c7-4750-a2b5-2f6d2782da03)

Not sure if it needs to be legalized. May be you can check with your local commune who can legalize or attest it.

Dear Aneesh,

Firstly I would like to thank you for all the info you gave. It really helped advance a lot of the process. Now I am wiating for my work permit.

I have another situation now, it is regarding the validity of my Work Permit B.
My work permit type B states that it can be extended only for 4 years since I am under
highly skilled category.

How do I extend my work permit after this ?

Any clarity on this is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello, I have a silly question but I still need to ask just to be sure about this.
If you change the employer, do you have to wait until you get the new WP (renewal by the new employer) or you just can start the job once you sign the contract?

Thank you in advance for any replies

Jo

You need to wait for the new WP

deepak.ranganathan :

Dear Aneesh,

Firstly I would like to thank you for all the info you gave. It really helped advance a lot of the process. Now I am wiating for my work permit.

I have another situation now, it is regarding the validity of my Work Permit B.
My work permit type B states that it can be extended only for 4 years since I am under
highly skilled category.

How do I extend my work permit after this ?

Any clarity on this is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

If your employer wants to keep you employed, they will make sure you have the paperwork. If you complete 5 years of uninterrupted stay in Belgium in between, you can get a PR and then no need of work permit. Otherwise, after four consecutive B type work permits, you can apply for other types. You will see in Brussels city official pages (google will lead you there) the types of work permits and their eligibility terms. Similar info is available for Flanders and Wallonia in their respective official pages.

Thank you, Aneesh! And I suppose the processing time should be the same as the first one I.e. 10 days, right?

Hello Deepak and Aneesh,

I would like to ask for some more information if you don’t mind. For applying the new wp, does the new employer need to wait until the current wp is expired? I read on the website werk.be, the renewal should be filed at last one month before it’s expired. So, is it only for renewing with the same employer or is it the same procedure for the new employer?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Jo

New employer does not need to wait till expiry of current WP. That clause (you mentioned) is only applicable if the person continues to be employed by the same employer

Thank you so much, Aneesh!!!

Hello everyone! Good morning...

I am a newcomer in this forum but I already have a question that I hope somebody can help to answer it.
I have a work permit type B that will be expired at the end of January 2018. However, my current employer had terminated the contract since last month. Do I have to leave the country? Btw, I still my residence permit that is valid until the end of February 2018.
And for the time being I have signed a new contract with a new employer.
Can anybody help me with my question?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Afaik, You can legally stay till Feb 2018.

Thank you Aneeshsk!
Do I need to provide the medical certificate and information sheet or not in order for the new employer to apply for the renewal of current wp?
I am sorry but it seems that the employer and I have different understanding for this matter.

Thank you again for your advice

-Ardo

Dear Ardoos,

Yes you have to provide a medical certificate and an information certificate which should be filled and signed and sealed by the commune in the area of your residence.

Medical certificates are in 3 formats for expats according to the region where your company is located (Wallonia, Brussels or Flanders). You can download the format online and just go to any general doctor in Belgium and he will fill it for you after a few tests.

Hope that answers your questions.

Deepak

Dears,

I got a new job and signed the contract with the new employer and my current employer is asking me to deregister in the commune as I came to Brussels through the current employer.

I will get my new WP somewhere around 2nd or 3rd week of October.

My current employer is asking me to deregister and travel back on 1st week of October.

Could someone please help me with the regulations?

Thanks,

Dear Hanuman,

You don’t have to deregister or rather you can’t register as per my knowledge. Your old WP becomes invalid automatically once you get the new WP.

The employer cannot ask you to leave. If you have a valid residence permit, you are allowed to stay in Belgium for the duration mentioned on your RP.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,
Deepak