Driving from the Uk to Bg

Hi folks,

Has anyone completed this drive? I'm sure some of you have and If so can you tell me your thoughts on the best route? Some tell me to avoid Serbia while others say it's fine. I also would like to find out what sort of costs are involved in regards to toll roads, local taxes, etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you are looking to drive in a car you will be looking at a 2000 miles may be 2500 plus,this year we drove to Montenegro in June by car and that was approx 1900 one way.you will need a green card insurance also.

Hiya, I have done the trip 4 times now and have never had any trouble at all, 2 of the trips were in a RHD vehicle which was fun. The route I took was over to Calais on the ferry, then drive through to Brussels, to Cologne,to Bonn, Frankfurt, where I always stopped for a overnight or day time break. Then on to Munich, Salzburg, to Slovenia, then Croatia, stunning scenery, then Zagreb, that can be fun, right through the centre loads of traffic, but you don't have to get off the 3 or 4 lanes of traffic until you are out the other side of Zagreb. Then on to Serbia, no problems at all, head for a city/town  called Nis then mad dash for Bulgaria, you know when you are getting close to BG, you fall down the holes in the road. took me 3 days/nights to get to BG just stopped off at a Hotel/Motel when I felt tired.the journey is close to 2000 miles which ever route you take, i took this route as there were a lot of Toll roads, which aren't that expensive but are excellent quality and no police so foot down to the boards and go. Don't forget some countries you need a Vignette and they are quite strict if you are caught without one Austria is one that is strict. I didn't go via Hungary as i was told sometimes border control can be a bit funny, like not letting you through if you don't have a green card although you don't need one
Enjoy your trip whichever way you go, It really is a great drive. Don't forget your florescent jackets,1 for each passenger and they must be within reach not tucked away in the boot, also breathalysers (2) "bloody frogs". obviously all the other kit for breakdowns first aid etc .

Terry

Hi, Ive done the drive on numerous occasions and ive done most of the routes. I have done Serbia, and I found it a pleasant experience, none of the big mountains that the Romanian route takes you over. We had no trouble at all driving through Serbia all I can say is that if you have animals then you shouldnt do this way. The Toll charges worked out at just 7.50 euro..........very cheap. I usually catch the ferry over Dover to Dunkirk, then do Belguim, Germany, Austria, Hungary and either into Romania, or Serbia. I suppose it really depends on where in Bulgaria you are heading for. You have to buy a Vignette for Austria, Hungary and Romania, but if you do the Serbian way its Toll roads. The total for vignettes works out at around 30 euros total.

You can buy the Vignette in Austria at any petrol station. They can be bought for a week, month or 12 months.

SimCityAT wrote:

You can buy the Vignette in Austria at any petrol station. They can be bought for a week, month or 12 months.

Same for Romania...and it can be purchased online as well in advance.

Im doing the drive back to the UK setting off on sunday morning early...we are doing the Romanian route again as this is the quickest way for us as we live right near to the border of Romania....hopefully the road works wont be as bad in Germany as they usually are...........I will let you all know when I do the return trip...........

Have a nice drive back