Buying new car in Germany and importing it in Bulgaria

I am Greek citizen, partner in an export Bulgarian company and plan to live one day permanently in Blagoevgrad Bulgaria.
I'd like to buy a NEW car from Germany, transport it to Bulgaria where my company is, and then register it there.
My questions are:
-Do I have to pay registration taxes in Germany and again in Bulgaria as the car is brand new or can I avoid them in one of the two countries?
-Is the car registration tax 10% as I read in both countries?
-In case I have to pay once what papers to ask from German car dealer?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Can i ask you why you don't buy you're new car in Bulgaria? There are a lot of (German car) dealers in the country.

I think there is no or little difference in price.
In my case a new car in Bulgaria is much cheaper than buying it in the Netherlands because of the tax system they use in the Netherlands. Thats why i imported a young car (2016) from Germany to Bulgaria.

In my case it's completely the opposite, the car costs 65000 leva while in Germany due to different brand policy costs 27000 euros!
Thus if I buy it without 19% German VAT (that I'll pay 20% in Bulgaria) and without German registration tax, I have to pay only transportation which is less than 1000 euro and Bulgarian reg tax that is if I am right another 10% with the final price below 30.000 euros (< 65.000 leva) and it'll have German technical specs.
But I am not sure if I can avoid German reg tax otherwise I have to pay them twice...

By the way I asked the Bulgarian dealer to make me a better offer than it's first, I prefer  to buy the car from him close to my job and where I live (in case of warranty etc problems)!
As you say usually the cars are much cheaper in Bulgaria than in Germany but the dealer didn't even answer me this time, I don't know why but it isn't quite professional treatment...

So far as i know you only pay the registration tax within the EU for one country. So the new car won't be registered in Germany but in Bulgaria. I think you can easily find out online.

You should make a calculation of the total cost, delivery/transportation and insurance from a new car from Germany.  So you can compare the difference, maybe you can use this also for some pressure for the car dealer in Bulgaria. Maybe they can give a better offer.

For a brand new car i think i like to have the dealer around the corner.

Bulgarian dealer doesn't answer my e-mails...

Hi there,

I am quite surprised to hear about all these problems. Actually you shouldn't worry about this. So here's the reality:

I. Car registration
If you plan to drive the car from Germany to Bulgaria, then the initial registration should be in Gemany. Afterwards you can decide whether to reregister it in Bulgaria or to keep the German plates. Reregistering it is the better choice.

If you plan to transport the car to Bulgaria by a trailer, then no registration in Germany would be necessary. The initial registration will be done in Bulgaria. All the papers you are going to need are the car purchase contract, the invoice and probably a contract with the transporting company. That's all.

There's no 10 % tax on the car value!!! Just the VAT tax which is paid once - either in Germany or in Bulgaria (20 %).
Registration taxes in Bulgaria are standard and are calculated on the basis of fixed amounts + engine volume. There's an additional municipal tax, which varies and is paid yearly. Generally you will have to pay the following taxes:
1. Car registration tax - fixed - about 40 BGN
2. Numbering plates - fixed - about 30 BGN
3. Civil responsibility insurance (Grajdanska otgovornost) - about 200 BGN
4. Municipal tax /based on car engine volume/
---------------------------------------
roughly 300-400 BGN

Not obligatory:
+ Full car insurance )CASCO - about 5 % on car price
+ Road vignette - 97 BGN

II. Dealer proximity
That is absolutely of no importance since the car is new and is covered by the manufacturer warranty. If there's some problem with the car then you will have to visit a certified repair center, NOT THE DEALER.

That's all. However trying to get the VAT back will be a problem .... and it depends on the company's field of activity.

By the way, since you have not been through this process so far, I would adwise on hiring s.o. to arrange all this for you then it will be a lot easier and could save you time, efforts, problems and probably some money.

Are you sure there isn't first registration tax 10% (ISV) in Bulgaria only the small amount you mention (about 40BGN) and the VAT I have to pay?
The car will be trasported with a carriage to Bulgaria and the German dealer probably would deduct the VAT thus I'll pay the Bulgarian VAT wich isn't my concern to take it back.

Do any of you have any suggestions for companies who might be able to assist in registering and transporting a car from Germany (or other EU countries) to Bulgaria?

https://bulgarianplates.com/