Registering a birth in Slovenia

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Slovenia? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Slovenia?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

This is done in the hospital at the time of birth. I have no idea if it can be done at a later date. Residents have an EMSO number as well as a tax number. These numbers are what are used with most documents in Slovenia. I am not aware of having to take any documentation with me to the hospital other than my health card. But maybe something was done what I don't recall.

UK has a form to fill out to register your child in the UK too which will give them a dual nationality if they are born in Slovenia. You can get more information from the gov.uk webpage and the forms.