Registering a birth in Indonesia

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Indonesia? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Indonesia?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Dear Priscilla,

My wife is scheduled to give birth end november beginning december and until you mentioned it, I had not even thought about whether to register the birth in the UK. I am quite happy about the registration being done in Indonesia and unsure what benefit or even option there is to register in 2 places.

I am interested to hear if anyone has experienced a Javanese Selamatan  at the 7 month stage of pregnancy? I think it is normally for neighbours and other people from the kampung. I wonder how many people might be expected? Would they just turn up? Or is it by invitation? Would it be women only?

Thanks & regards

M

We recently registered our sons birth in Indonesia, we are unmarried at the moment but that will change soon, it was a drawn out experience but we used a local friend who is familiar with the process, I may be wrong but I think my sons details had to be updated on a KK and then his birth certificate followed the full process from start to finish took for us about 3 months it can be as quick as 4-6 weeks, once married both the kk and sons birth certificate will have to be updated again with my details but only with results of a DNA or court order
If you have a child born outside the uk and uk territories you must legally register the child in the country of birth, if one parent is a British citizen ( I can only comment for the UK)  the child becomes a British citizen by "descent" they is no need to register the child's birth in the uk but if you wish to the cost is about £200 this includeds a copy of the register certificate from the uk an additional £25 to post worldwide.
You can obtain a UK passport for the child either by way of your name on child's birth certificate or DNA test plus the child's uk father/ mothers details, to register as a British citizen the child's uk grandparents details need to be proven also if you go on the uk gov website it's pretty straightforward
Obtaining a passport for the child takes approximately 3 weeks visiting Jakarta at the visa application centre at kunningham mall (spelling) about 200 meters from the manhattan hotel, one thing to remember is again you need documents to prove the child is yours and the medical book from your local doctor (child's medical book) along with parents documents no need for the child to attend but looks better if they do, again details can be found online.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize … 983/no/yes

Just to add you need the kk and and birth certificate from child, mums passport etc and your passport for the child to obtain his/ her Indonesian passport, we visit immigration today for his photo and not allowed to wear white for pictures 👍

I think when you register a child in the uk when born Indonesia, they can go to school and live in the uk or in later life etc I'm not certain they can without being registered though I may be wrong (apologies for several comments rather than one) also I've heard but cannot confirm the Indonesian government requests the child to pick a citizenship at 18/21 years of age but I think that's unusual or doesn't happen very often, the uk does NOT require this

Thanks, that is very interesting and helpful.

I've just called the British embassy/consular in Jakarta to confirm legalising documents ( was advised in a different thread) and if they will be accepted, normally this is the case but I have been pre warned that Indonesian officials are within the rights to not accept as Indonesia is not a member of the Haigh blah blah blah, to guarantee acceptance they must be authorised by an Indonesian embassay/ consulate also