Marrying an indonesian in Bali is now not legal is this true?

Hi i am from london and have been planning to marry my indonesian girlfriend who is from Jakarta this year and we wanted too marry like a lot of people in Bali.

But we have been told a new law has come into effect from Nov 2017 that Indonesian people can only get married legally now in Bali if they are actually Balinese or reside in Bali .
Can anyone tell me if this is true as a couple of wedding agencies told me yes and others say they know nothing about it and are happy to arrangr a legal Christian wedding .....confused.com!

Regards

Roy

I have no experience of this but plenty of experience with paper pushers here. They're very much like paper pushers in any country but the rules they follow tend to be flexible, often what they decide is right rather than what is actually correct.

I hope someone can answer your question but I can offer some tips.
Bring your birth certificate and make sure it's legalised.
Make sure you have a certificate of no impediment from your local registry office, again legalised.

Legalise here
https://www.get-document-legalised.serv … ct-service

I'm assuming the lady is a Christian. If so, no worries.
If that lady is of any other religion there could be issues as you MUST be of the same religion to marry legally here.
Whatever is on her KTP is the religion she is officially and legally as far as the marriage is concerned.

Hi Fred and thanks for the reply.
Yes my fiancee is Christian/protestant like me so no issues there.
And yes i have all my paperwork ready but its really the issue is that according to two wedding planners based in Bali that the marriage wont be legal now because my fiancce is not from or lives in bali even though she is indonesian!
One company only found out today from there legal team that this is the case and apologised for not knowing this when i first enquired about us marrying there..
Hopefully someone can help and recommend a way round this as we want too get married in Indonesia as its a easier option than trying to get a fiancee visa for her too marry me in the UK!!

Thanks again

Roy

Hope it's not true about having to be Balinese to get married in Bali. Gosh strange new rules coming out recently.

Hi Roy,
it means getting married "Numpang Nikah". Your initial requirement should specify the building or church where you are married in Bali?

For example at Hotel Kuta Bali. Then you will later get permission to marry at the Office of Religious Affairs (KUA) in the village of Kuta after complete all requirements.

The prospective bride must also apply to the Jakarta Religious Affairs Office (KUA)
with requirements :

1. Request a cover letter from local RT and RW, with: Copy of your ID and spouse and also Copy of family card.

2. An existing introductory letter, then taken to the sub-district to get a list of documents that need to be prepared then you can fill out a number of required forms, such as N1, N2, and N4, and an unmarried certificate to the respective residence districts . Provided with Foto graph 6x6, 3x4 , 2x3 = 3pcs each photocopy documents, 3pcs copy of ID card ROY & spouse, 3pcs copy of KK ROY & spouse, and introductory letter of RT / RW from your country.

3. After that, you simply go to the KUA to request a letter of recommendation to get married in the destination. Simply prepare requirements such as a copy of ID card ROY & spouse, Copy of KK, Letter of introduction from kelurahan (N1, N2 and N4), Pas photo 2 × 3, 3 × 4 each 2 sheets.

4. After getting the letter of introduction of marriage passenger recommendation, the next necessary is to visit the KUA which will be a wedding venue will take place with the terms: letters of recommendation to move marriage from KUA origin, copy of your ID card and spouse, photocopy your KK and spouse, color photo 2 × 3; 3 × 4 each 2 sheets, a copy of your last diploma and spouse, a copy of your birth certificate and spouse

5. For your documents:
    Recent birth certificate (original).
    Photocopy of identity card (KTP) from the country of origin.
    Photocopy of passport.
    Proof of residence / letter of domicile.
    Marriage form from the embassy in question. Certificate of No Impediment
    Letters of recommendation from your company
   And prepare a copy of the diploma is sometimes required

That is the conditions and how to ride marriage that you can start preparing

have a good fight,

Zanzio

Consider a marriage in her home area designated by her  KTP- less problem- more a solution around the permissions required in Bali. Simplistic I know however it does solve many issues. Perhaps a honeymoon in Bali 😬😬😬

HI and many thanks for the information.

But like i say i do not think its a matter of paperwork as i have that all in order

it is the fact that the marriage will not be legal for my fianacee as she is not Balinese or lives there
Another Bali wedding agency just confirmed this too me and said a lot of wedding agencies do not know the new law which only came in to effect in November!

So even if we get married with all the correct paperwork and get both Certificates Ie religuis and Civil!

The government will see the date and note that it is noe allowed after Oct 2017 for Indonesian's to marry in bali - simple but very weird law..

So yes maybe best for me is too get married in Jakarta instead and have honeymoon in bali

Thanks again

Roy

Yes Roy, I just know if there is a strange new rules like that ....

Generally almost all Indonesians married in a way "Numpang Nikah".
with the same procedure even though the people of Jakarta because the ceremony took place in a place different from the domicile of KTP. Suppose domicile in South Jakarta and married in Central Jakarta Church. Permission remains in two places as well.

Please do your best and easy.

Agreed. I've found simplicity and straight forward thinking the best way to row with the flow of laws and regulations within Indo. Congratulations to you and your future wife 👍🏻

Actually I'm not sure about that.. October 2017, because has no number code provision.
But not allowed if you are different religion.
If you are curious try contact directly to Bali Civil Registry government Office.

Department of Population and Civil Registration
Kabupaten Badung, Bali
(0361) 8947977
Kota Denpasar, Bali
(0361) 428597
Klungkung
(0366) 24234
Open 8AM ⋅ Closes 2PM

Congratulations to you Roy and your future wife 👍🏻

Thank you and might be worth a call , even though three wedding planners say they cant do legal marriage now because of this ...
We might look at Singapore as easier and only have too stay 15days too apply and stay and only need passport birth certificate and CNI...simple  think...lol

Regards Roy

if you want be legally married regardless where. you need to go into a civil office. why not first get married in the civil office in Jakarta. if your future wife is from Jakarta all Her required documents,KTP etc. more easy to do it all from there.
the wedding party you do in Bali. after you get your marriage cert. registered in your home country the UK.
I hope you also aware of the prenuptial agreement stories. if yes dont forget to do it before the marriage!

I myself got married in Balikpapan 2010 from where my wife comes from and it was easy with all the required documents in hand. my marriage legal registered here in Indonesia and from where I come in Switzerland.

I don't see why you should go to Singapore for to get married. I wish you a beautiful wedding party in Bali.

I recently married a Muslim Indonesian in Thailand ( I have no affiliation to any faith, never baptised/ christened etc) just as a pointer as what I was told by the Indonesian and Singaporean side of things including British Embassay/ consulate.........
If I had converted to Islam and married in Indonesia I would still have needed to visit the uk Embassay in Jakarta to confirm I'm free to marry, (affirmation??)  if we married Singapore as mixed marriage I still had to have visited Jakarta for the same as not possible to get in Singapore, since we married in Thailand this had to be acquired from the uk Embassay in Bangkok, this was December 2017, I would certainly double check the affirmation requirement to marry in Indonesia as I'm almost certain it has to be gained in the country your marrying( these also have an expiry date in Indonesia not sure if it's 4 or 12 weeks like an earlier post suggests probably much easier to marry where your future wife is living/ registered on her ID, her documents expire after 30 days

rblackmuir wrote:

Thank you and might be worth a call , even though three wedding planners say they cant do legal marriage now because of this ...
We might look at Singapore as easier and only have too stay 15days too apply and stay and only need passport birth certificate and CNI...simple  think...lol

Regards Roy

You can only register to marry in Singapore the following day after you arrive you can't actually marry until around a further 7 days after the 15 days, you also need to provide original documents of your 2 witnesses, ( legally must be people you personally know)  your bride to be will also need different documents, much easier, cheaper and straightforward in Thailand, either way you have one year to register your marriage in Indonesia, it's a minimum of 35 days in England  to marry if you marry in Thailand you need passport and proof of uk address your bride needs N1,2,3,4&5 not sure if same needed for Singapore I've read conflicting requirements for Singapore to me to much hassle

Good answer from many friends here..If you do your marriage outside Indonesia, dont forget to register your mariage in Indonesia Civil Registration

Hi Roy....u can marry yer g/f here in Bali..the main thing is u haven.t said wat religion she is..If she/s Muslum...u will have to become Muslum..which is easy...I think yer marriage will be regonized in England..I.m Australian...and mine is recognized there...There/s been nothn said to me about any changes..If u want to keep your religion...and she.s ok...u can go to Bangkok..The Indonesian law says u have to marry some1 of your religion..the 1974 marriage act..amybe u give us more info pls...take care,,,cheers..Bundy//

Hi rblackmuir,

My suggestion .. it's better to get married in Jakarta as your gf ID card is Jakarta resident to make it easier for you, then you can celebrate the wedding in Bali

as I know this regulation is not new, especially for us who married at KUA, we can't get married in another city if we don't apply for the additional document such as Numpang Nikah procedure.

Numpang Nikah procedure also can be provided if both of you are Indonesian but has a different ID card of a different city (let say Man from Surabaya, and Woman from Jakarta) so this case you can apply for Numpang Nikah in Surabaya city.

and for your case, you need to check Jakarta Civil office about the documents are needed. My experience ... I am married to Netherlands citizen at my hometown as my ID card from Bondowoso city.

I need to get a document from Netherlands consulate in Surabaya, my husband birth certificate from Netherland Gemente (Government office), a copy of passport, pasphoto, etc then submit to KUA (for muslim marriage) at my hometown.

After the marriage process you have to submit the marriage book into 3 different ministries and Netherland Embassy in Jakarta to be legalized, it's really complicated process and takes more money.  I use agency from Jakarta to legalized my marriage book in Jakarta

hope this helps you!

Go with the flow and marry in her area.  Paddle with the flow and not splash in a frenzy going upstream against the regulations.  You can honeymoon anywhere! Best wishes again to the prospective bride and groom 🤗

A slightly different point concerning marriage in Indonesia. Is there an online way to find out if a man has more than one wife? I assume marriages are registered somewhere locally to where it took place, but if these records are available online, it would save a lot of time.

Hi Merrymont,

From what i know, the records are not available online and you will need to have a legal  reason to see those records.

Yes indeed. Record such as that should are most probably are highly confidental and should not be made available to the pubic online.

rblackmuir wrote:

Hi i am from london and have been planning to marry my indonesian girlfriend who is from Jakarta this year and we wanted too marry like a lot of people in Bali.

But we have been told a new law has come into effect from Nov 2017 that Indonesian people can only get married legally now in Bali if they are actually Balinese or reside in Bali .
Can anyone tell me if this is true as a couple of wedding agencies told me yes and others say they know nothing about it and are happy to arrangr a legal Christian wedding .....confused.com!

Regards

Roy

well Roy, better asked them a name of regulation, so we can see clearly. If both of you christian, so the authorize office is not KUA (Kantor Urusan Agama), but Catatan Sipil.
I'm not so sure Bali Governor or Bali Religious Department (KantorWilayah Departemen Agama) Bali have issued such restriction.
If the wedding organizer don't want to tell you, ask your fiancee to get her priest, to get one of the priest in bali to help you on this. As far as i know, as long one of the priest in bali can marry both of you, you can marry in his church...