Retirement in malta

hello everyone
i am a newby and my wife and i are looking to retire in Malta.  so many questions.  can we still have our private pensions paid in uk or is it better paid in malta.  we have two small dogs but all the places we have looked at to rent are no pets the ones that accept pets seem grubby by comparison.  am worried we might have to move e very 6 months if we rent.  do we pay any taxes there.  Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

regards
david

David Godwin-lear wrote:

hello everyone
i am a newby and my wife and i are looking to retire in Malta.  so many questions.  can we still have our private pensions paid in uk or is it better paid in malta.  we have two small dogs but all the places we have looked at to rent are no pets the ones that accept pets seem grubby by comparison.  am worried we might have to move e very 6 months if we rent.  do we pay any taxes there.  Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

regards
david

You can still have your pension paid into a U.K. account, we transfer ours to our account here using Transfer Wise who normally have a better exchange rate although at the moment it's not good.
You have to complete a tax return here every year whether you pay tax or not depends on your personal circumstances.   Have you actually looked at property or just viewed on line?  A lot of people have pets here so it is possible, as mentioned many times on here do not take too much notice of agents websites as most of the properties are out of date.  Also please read previous posts as you will also find the answers you may need, good luck, if you cannot find the answers just ask again on here. We used to live near Northampton too.

thank you i have  read your threads and found thrm very enlightning we will come out on a reccy and will look at gozo prob around feb 2018

we have an apt in Zebbug on Gozo. There are quite a few english people on the island. I have gotten to know an uk couple who bought an apartment in our complex 3 years ago. They decided to retire to Gozo. they are now selling up. I asked them why.....reasons they gave me were..if something was to happen to her husband she felt she couldnt live on Gozo on her own. it would be way too lonely. in the three years they have only made a few friends, they are very outgoing people so i was surprised at that but she loves Gozo but that the winters are very damp ...which is true...we were there in February and I wouldnt go again....the summers are great tho......it is a very laid back island. nothing gets done in a hurry so you have to accept that.

In winter inside can be colder than outside and some properties can suffer with damp as they can anywhere else, opening windows and a dehumidifier helps.Its alot warmer here then the U.K. in winter and most months you can still sit outside, at least we do not have any icy mornings or snow, we do have some rain which is always appreciated.