Wanting to make the move to Ireland

Hi All

My name is Nadia. I am 43 years old, divorced and have 2 sons aged 24 and 18.

My company in SA is offering voluntary severance packages and I am thinking of taking it and moving to Ireland for a few years initially and perhaps permanently.

I would appreciate any advice on how to go about getting a General Work Permit. As well as info on what life is like there,

Also, how much do I need per month to live a nice comfortable life.....nothing fancy.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
Nadia

Hi Nadia,

I would recommend you have a look at the Citizens Information website here in Ireland for info on visa requirements and how to apply for a work permit. Assuming you are a South African citizen you should be able to enter without a visa.
However, as you may have seen already you will need a permit to work in Ireland. There are few options available, which will depend on your skills.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo … eland.htmlhttp://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/em … rmits.html

In terms of life in Ireland, I can highly recommend it! Ireland is a great place to live. We have a friendly and open culture with lots of different nationalities living here. The economy here is doing really well after a long recession so there are lots of opportunities. In terms of cost of living there is a good website previously recommend on this forum: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … ry=Ireland

If you need any further advice feel free to send me a private message.

Michael - The CV Agency

Hi Michael

Thank you so much for your reply.

I don't have your email address therefore I couldn't contact you privately.

My email is ***

I have read up quite a bit but an ex colleague of mine who has been living in Ireland since 2015 has told me that I have to apply for the General Employment Permit while I am still in Cape Town.

The information on the internet says that I need to first have a job then apply, obviously in this case I have to be in Ireland to do this.

Please advise.

Kind regards
Nadia

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Nadia - I was living in Ireland for 38 years, and after this, couldn't wait to get out.  I am Irish, but I hate Ireland.  The people there are so unfriendly (even to their own neighbors) that when you move there, unless you have a support system in place already, you will be alone.  When I left there 7 years ago, I had one friend (having gone to school there). I had lived in the same house for 10 years, and my neighbors were horrible not only to me, but to each other.

It's important to remember about Irish people that they do not have conflict resolution skills.  Their arguments are bitter and they bear grudges against people for years, based on nothing more than rumors.  In a work place, bullying is a regular occurrence. 

When I moved to Canada 9 years ago, I had to work really hard to put my heritage of being Irish behind me.  When I did, I now have more friends that I can count, have good relationships with most people I know, and have been able to resolve conflicts with people who recognize that they may be contributing - and have something positive to contribute.

Ireland is not only difficult for the Irish, it is more difficult for people moving there.  The Irish have a great reputation with tourists, because tourists are leaving, but generally speaking, they will not be welcome to you if they know you are going to stay. This is just arrogance.

I would reconsider my move, if I was you - unless you have a job and support system already there.

I am sorry to be so hard on my own kind, but these issues are something that are not admitted very often.