Culture Shock!!!!!!! Dublin Vs London!

Born and raised by my Pakistani parents in London I guess i'm one of those very few who have left London to move to Ireland. My Wife is Irish and from Dublin, We started off living in London first with our 1yr old boy then decided to give Ireland a try!?!...............Biggest regret of my life!!!!!!!!!!!! the only positive thing i can think of is generally the people are nice but thats about it. Sorry to offend those who think otherwise but Boy! LONDON has much much more to offer then what this place does.

Regards

Qas --- wotdahell

Hello Qas

What are the things that you most miss about London that you don't have in Dublin?

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hmmmmm let me see

1. Fantastic musuem's in London and it's free can't say the same in Dublin.

2. Plenty of parks scattered everywhere. Dublin has Phoenix which i do like but still lacks many facilities there.

3. We wont mention the shops as Dublin looks like a corner shop compared to what London has.

4. It's diversity in London is like no the place in the world.

5. Weather in London over winter can be as bad as here in Dublin but when summer arrive's well there only 1 clear winner there and it's not Dublin.

6. Being British Asian there is nothing better then a "Ruby Murry" (curry) Don't get me started on that one over here, Thats why myself and the Miss's have become great cooks in the hse as can't seem to find any half decent place here.

7. Theme parks in Dublin........any suggestions lol

Yep. You're not in London.
You're in Dublin.
How wonderful they are different.
Imagine leaving home, moving to another country and finding it the same!
One of the biggest mistakes expats make is expecting their new home to be like their old one. Why leave?????

Dublin is a vibrant small capital city bursting with things to see and do. There is always something happening.

Ireland is a brilliant country for sightseeing with each county offering different history and festivals. The country is small which means day trips are easy.

There's opportunity for crazy extreme sports, surfing, cycling, hiking and more.

Spend your time proactively discovering things to see n do; Dublin Tourism, Irish Tourism, infact each county has a tourism board.

Dublin Free Events Guide is fantastic for knowing whats on and for free.

Join OPW and check out historical areas.

Invest in Lonely Planets Guide to Ireland or DK Dublin - be a tourist!

Menuepages.ie is a great place to start finding out about the restaurant n cafe scene.

Join InterNations.

I could go on.

All this optimism and love of Dublin from a Sydney-sider ...... swapped beaches, harbour, weather and yes, I miss it but for now Dublins home and I love it. Its unique and so not like home.

(We've lived in Winchester, Hampshire UK and Yokohama Japan over the past 7 years so I am speaking from experience)

Good luck discovering your new home.

I know this post is 4 years old but we will be moving to Dublin from London this summer and we are very excited.

2 primary school aged kids (we have the school already). We are a very active/outdoor family and like the arts as well. Very sociable.

How is life here? We will be living in Dublin South. My worry is that Ireland is very much community based ie. Who went to school with etc. I m used to a very transient life in London. We will want to make friends. Happy to host and we are very enthusiastic people.

Would you lovely Irish people/Dubliners make friend and welcome a franco-irish family?

Thank you.

@ bubblegun > In case that you do not get feedback on this thread, i invite you to create a new thread on the dublin forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers: