Recommendations for interpreters please?

Hi

Could anyone recommend a Berlin-based interpreter, and give me an indication of the rates he/she is likely to charge? I am considering buying a property in the city, and to this end I will need to employ the services of a locally based interpreter.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Here's a list of officially recognised translators in Germany, searchable by city and available in English:
    http://www.justiz-uebersetzer.de/
Costs are usually around €1,75 per line of text (or an A4 page around €70), but depend on many factors and are negotiable.

beppi wrote:

Here's a list of officially recognised translators in Germany, searchable by city and available in English:
    http://www.justiz-uebersetzer.de/
Costs are usually around €1,75 per line of text (or an A4 page around €70), but depend on many factors and are negotiable.

I think he is looking for an interpreter rather than a translator. I would say look online. I'm not going to do it for him because I have already given him endless advice. He has been going for on months about wanting to invest in property in Berlin and keeps going on about one thing or another which suggests he is totally out of his league with such a consideration. He is English and has no connection or direct knowledge of German or Germany yet is obsessed that it must be a great place to buy an apartment for investment purposes. But he keeps asking for advice and contacts to find a property for him, to renovate it, to manage it and figure out the financial aspects of seeing the rent gets paid etc. The way people make money by such a strategy is by having the knowledge in finding the right place, fixing it up themselves etc. Paying others to do all of these things will wipe out any potential profits and be one more risk that the people will undoubtedly give no guarantee for.  I suggest he stick to investing in something he has more knowledge about instead of in a foreign country he has no idea about.

Oh, apparently I was not the only one he sent numerous messages with all kinds of questions about property investments in Berlin.
Like you, I advised him honestly and patiently - but I also think what he has in mind is not a good idea.

Gentlemen,

I entered into these discussions in good faith and with genuine intentions, and in what I considered to be a courteous and respectful tone. As I have mentioned before, I am very grateful for the detailed responses you have given me, and appreciate the time and effort you have taken in doing so. 

You were of course not obliged to respond in such detail. If you think I have taken advantage of you or wasted your time, then I can only apologise.

Regards

CarterUSM wrote:

Gentlemen,

I entered into these discussions in good faith and with genuine intentions, and in what I considered to be a courteous and respectful tone. As I have mentioned before, I am very grateful for the detailed responses you have given me, and appreciate the time and effort you have taken in doing so. 

You were of course not obliged to respond in such detail. If you think I have taken advantage of you or wasted your time, then I can only apologise.

Regards

No need to apologize. I never suspected any bad faith on your part Carter. But one wonders when somebody keeps asking for help with something if they aren't simply out of their league. Theoretically, there are great opportunities for investing in property in Germany. But I would NEVER suggest it to someone who does not live here and speak the language. At some point one has to ask if there are not simply too many hurdles to make it worth the effort. You will be so dependent on others to manage the finding, renovating, renting out and maintaining of the property that you take risk with every step and lose the potential profits of doing such things yourself. Any skepticism is not meant to shame you but this is an open forum and people should not take the information as a recommendation to do the same. What you do in the end is your decision.