Living in Berlin

You are an expatriate living in Berlin, or you used to  work and live in Berlin.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Berlin?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Berlin?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Berlin?

Thanks in advance for your participation

I am new to this site - I was hoping that someone would have answered these questions! They are good ones!

Ilona wrote:

I am new to this site - I was hoping that someone would have answered these questions! They are good ones!

Hey Ilona, when did you arrive? Sorry, I'm too lazy to do a search... I'll answer the qs!

How would you describe life in Berlin?
As exciting or bland as you make it. There is always something to see or do, but you do need to seek it out. As I came for fashion week, I have found the local fashion scene and lifestyle amazing. The ubiquitous reminders of recent history - from abandoned buildings to conversations - are fascinating. 

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation?
Accommodation was easy, knocked over in a couple of hours (a bit over budget, mind you). Ditto a skills-relevant part-time job to cover the rent.   

Is it complicated to make friends in Berlin?
Like any big city, Berlin can be isolating for the person who knows no-one. Even arriving with a ready-made network, I found they have their  own work/social  lives that don't always include me! I'm still searching for the best method of making friends - expats meetups, connecting over common interests (eg getting to know designers around town)... even joining a walking tour and being chatty... working on it.

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Berlin? Don't come with rose coloured glasses. Yes, it's hip and vibrant. Yes, there is a thriving fashion/design/music scene. Yes, compared to Paris, it's cheap. But unemployment is 22 per cent so be prepared to spend some savings, and think outside the box in terms of income. There aren't a lot of opportunities, especially without German language, but you can create as many as you like. That's the exciting thing - here it feels like you can do any damn thing you please!
x

fashionplatz.wordpress.com

I am also new to this site. I'm looking for an apartment before moving to Berlin in two weeks, for a year. Craigslist seems to be full of scammers, wanting full payment and a scan of my passport before ever viewing the places. Any tips on finding decent digs from decent people?

Hi, have you tried wg-gesucht.de? Its mostly in German but some people also post in English if that helps. Run by ordinary people, just make an appointment to view somewhere or put up an ad yourself. You'll find rooms and whole apartments to rent on the site. I had no problem finding a short term place before moving over. Good luck!

Thank you. I had not heard of this one. I did finally find something through the ads in the Berliner Morgenpost. I will pass your tip on to other friends of mine who are still looking, however.

i arrived hereabout 4 months ago from sydney , australia. my wife is german and was born in berlin. we came so she could expand her professional skills and try to establish a business here dealing with human development and nuturing creative skills. i speak little german but have private lessons once a week, its going to be a long process. im looking to meet australians in berlin or surrounds who are sociable, considerate and like good conversation and good company. i am good natured have a good sense of humour and miss the familiarity i had in australia with the above qualities. so if anyones out there who needs these things contact me here or my email address. [email protected]. i dont bite.

Hi Frank. I'm new here and have just read your posting. I was particularily interested in what you said about your wife wanting to expand her business in personal development and creative skills. I am a qualified dramatherapist looking to move to Berlin soon and am wanting to do the same. My skills have enabled me to work with business people in improving confidence and public speaking and also to harness their creative abilities. Perhaps we could meet up and discuss a business idea. You never know a lot can happen in Berlin if the ideas and enthusiasm is there. Get back to me if you think this is something of interest.