Recognition of foreign qualifications in Kenya

Hello everyone,

Were your professional qualifications recognised in Kenya? What country did you complete your qualifications in? What profession are you in?

Did you have to go through any formalities to get your qualifications recognised, such as to have them translated?

If your qualifications weren't recognised, were there any additional tests or exams you had to complete before you were able to practice your profession in Kenya or continue with your studies?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

My qualifications were recognized and I was allowed to practice without problems.

Majdi Elzayat

As a UK qualified accountant I had few problems applying for and being accepted by ICPAK as UK accounting qualifications are accepted in Common wealth jurisdictions.

Hello Pricilla,
When I applied for work permit first time in kenya , had submitted all documents . Permit was issued. I think verification is being done internally. Cause without any queries I got permit. But I think in medical/pharmacy / health science degree holders have to appear exams and have to follow certain process. Same is for lawer/ and accounts certified persons.
Regards
MKG ope

Hi everyone,
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in the US and looking to move, Kenya, Nairobi area, to be with my girlfriend. My background is in financial services. Have a BA in finance and a passport. Any advice??

Kenya is difficult to live in. If you do not have to go, don't go.

Hi I saw your post. I've been making plans to the Nairobi or mambasa area from the US to be with my girlfriend. How difficult. My background is  in financial services. I
have also BA  in finance and a passport. Just looking for feedback. Thanks.

CaryandBabe:  I have replied on your other thread......about working in Kenya.

Majdizayyat previously made the following points about living in Kenya:

Extremely high income taxes
High rate of corruption
Low in safety and security
Extremely high rental cost and property cost

I would say that the main point is that living in Kenya, especially Nairobi, isn't cheap.  Nairobi is one of the costliest cities on the African continent.   Life is cheaper outside large cities, but job opportunities are fewer.  For this reason, most expats who are working, tend to be Nairobi based.

Living in Kenya will be a very different experience to living in the US, for example.  Whether you like it or not is largely down to you as an individual.

For anyone in the health professions, which are normally state registered, to practice; ie: doctors, nurses, pharmacists, physio and occupational therapists, to name a few, Kenyan registration must be sought to practice.  Additional requirements have to be met, such as completing an internship at a public hospital, which I believe is one year.

Hi MKG ope,

Hope you are doing well. I saw you message got some questions if you don't mind. How hard was it to get he work permit? Which process did you have to go through? Did you apply directly or a company went for the process for you. I am Angolan/ Portuguese and hold a masters in Finance and I wish to move to kenya for personal reasons and find a work there. How hard do you think it would be for me the get a work permit?

I appreciate your time,

Ana

Hi Pricilla,

I hope your doing well. I saw your post about getting your qualifications recognized in Nairobi. How did you manage? Have you gotten a job offer or are applying directly for a work permit there?
I am in a similar situation, but I don't think getting my qualifications recognized would be an issue as they are from the UK. however I do need a work permit and haven't gotten a job offer yet. Do you have any hints for me? I hold a B.A in Accountancy and Finance, and an MSc in Finance.

I would be really happy to hear from you,

Ana

As long as you are able to pay the "facilitating fee", you should not have a problem. The facilitating fee (bribe) can be very high. Just a warning. Insist that your employer pays it.

Ana,
Priscilla is a moderator and not based in Kenya.  She started the thread to encourage discussion and information sharing, rather than having any direct knowledge/experience of the subject.  Am sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think that Priscilla would be able to assist you directly in the matter of obtaining a work permit in Kenya.

However, there are quite a lot of threads on this subject, so I suggest you have a read through them.  The link below may also assist you:

http://www.immigration.go.ke/Information.html

Same here but in international development. BA in Politics.