Naturalisation and citizenship in Kenya

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Kenya? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Kenya? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Kenyan citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

You can get citizenship after staying 6 years legally in kenya. One work pass is of two years. After three work passes you can get citizenship.
You welcome

Hello Bhavna,
I am an expatriate in Kenya for the last 23years.Being on work permit.
So far had not thaught about citizenship. Cause I felt that it's necessary if a person thinks of becoming enterpreuenar.
As far as dual citizenship is concerned ,the Permanent Residentship system is best. It enables a person to be Enterpreneuer/work like a permit holder/all along holding his country's passport status unaffected.
So I recommend PR system. In fact I have applied.. But time taking is too long.
The citizenship and PR can be applied online now a days.
Hope I have expressed my thinking the way I preferred
Regards
Manoj

It would be better for you to apply for permanent residency which will put you on track to becoming a naturalized citizen and mean that you will not have to apply for a work permit every year. This will also give you time to decide whether you want to renounce your nationality if your other country of citizenship doesn't allow dual nationality.

dear bhavna
i am a united states citizen and married to a kenyan girl for over 20 years i visit nairobi all the time on visa for 3  months then renew for the next 3 months just to sta y there i have property o on my wifes name we purchased a modest home i am soon to retire and want to get a citizenship of kenya can you help or advise i am meeting wrong people and just have no idea how to go about please reply and advise currently i am in india as i have loads of property here too thanks

You should be entitled to apply for dual citizenship on the basis of your marriage to a Kenyan citizen lasting more than 7 years.  This is not dependant upon the amount of time you have spent in Kenya.  If your wife renounced her citizenship, then she would need to apply to have it re-instated first.

The application process is done online via e-citizen, in the first instance.  The citizenship application is very lengthy in terms of the amount of time that you will have to wait.

You should also be entitled to apply for permanent residency.  I understand that this can  be granted a bit more quickly.

dear bhavna do you have a website for this or can you help me i will pay for all the charges and forms no problem my phone number is *** its in india as i am here currently we could talk please please help me
                 thanks a bunch masud

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Wahidakhan:  I don't know whether you noticed, but Bhavna is a moderator, based in Mauritius. 

From time to time, moderators open a thread, for discussion such as this one, the purpose of which is to get people based in a certain country to share their knowledge.

Therefore  Bhavna is probably not in a position to assist you with an application for dual citizenship, in Kenya.

Your first step should be to open an account on e-citizen. 

https://www.ecitizen.go.ke

The procedure/requirements for a dual citizenship application is outlined below:

Citizenship by marriage to a Kenyan citizen

Requirements:

Duly completed application form (7)
Two passport size photographs
Copy of marriage certificate
Certificate of good conduct/police clearance
A joint sworn affidavit
Copy of dependants pass/permit
Fee- Ksh 30,000, Or Ksh 5000(East Africans)

Its really a case of filling the forms, submitting the paperwork and waiting.  Personally, I think that you would waste money paying for someone to assist.  However, there are lawyers and agents who do this.  You could try this one, for example:

https://fathershandltd.com/about-us-2/c … tizenship/