Eligibility for Permanent Residency/ Citizenship in Kenya

LAWFUL RESIDENT: If you have been a resident in Kenya for a period of SEVEN years immediately preceding the date of application for Permanent Residence or Citizenship and have been so resident under authority of an entry permit or exemption, you are eligible for obtaining either Permanent Residency in Kenya or Citizenship.

MARRIAGE: If you have been married to a citizen of Kenya for a period of at least SEVEN years, you are also eligible for Permanent Residency in Kenya or Citizenship.

The differences:
As a Permanent Resident, you cannot;
•    Own a Kenyan Passport
•    Own a Kenyan ID
•    Vote
•    Own Agricultural land

An applicant for Citizenship is required to;
•    Be able to understand and speak Kiswahili or local dialect (basic)
•    Have adequate knowledge of Kenya and of duties and rights of citizens as contained in the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act
•    Understand the nature of the application
(The above 3 requirements will most likely have to be demonstrated before a Citizenship Advisory Committee)

Hi beckykwanga,

Thank you for these useful information.

Can you please state the source from where you get these hints :)

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

As an Immigration Advisor for our company, we get our information directly from immigration officials at Nyaho House as this is the information we pass on to our clients.

Rebecca

wow nice :) thanks beckyy

Rgds

But I now  the peple can apply for the dual Citizenship ,.
Coz in more conveniet ,. ( if u wanna retorn u cauntry in the future :) ,.
- Agricultural land ( yes if u are non - kenyan ,. u need  a local pharner for that )

Hi Rebecca,

How long does the dual citizenship application take?  I meet the criteria in terms of marriage, but have been told that Immigration will complicate/ask for a lot of chai.

How competent would I need to be in Swahili?  I have always struggled with it (but neither have I learned consistently) and it isn't very good at all.

To Longonot62: Check your inbox :-)

Hi there,

I am applying for Permanent Residency and as part of the application an asked to provide proof of marriage and family life beyond the submission of a marriage certificate.

Can anyone advise what this extra proof might consist of?

Thanks