Naturalisation and citizenship in Brazil

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Brazil? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Brazil? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Brazilian citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

For me there are no advantages.

I just completed my VIPER application based on marriage (casamento) here in Fortaleza. The Federal Police representative who took my application told me that I could apply for citizenship after one year, but I'm pretty sure that's expedited because of the marriage. I haven't yet looked into any other requirements.

I also haven't explored the specific advantages of citizenship versus permanent residence. I imagine there could be circumstances in which I'd rather travel under a Brazilian passport than a US passport, depending on where I'm traveling. I can't imagine any significant disadvantages of dual citizenship. I'm sure there are fees to pay for the naturalization process. And Brazilian citizens are required to vote. Like I said, I haven't really researched it at all

My children (ages 10 and 8) are both dual citizens (US and Brazil), so it seems that Brazil does not require you to give up your citizenship in another country.

Before you apply for Brazilian citizenship, consider the following;

1. You will lose all representation and assistance from your embassy. So, if you are American / Brazilian and something happens in Brazil, the US embassy will not help you. This is because you are now legally Brazilian and you are in your adopted country. Yes, you are still American, but the fact that you are Brazilian and you are in Brazil overrides that. You will be treated as a Brazilian in the event of a problem with the law. This is definite as I confirmed it with a friend of a friend at the US embassy. This is worth thinking about as Brazil can be a pretty unforgiving place.   

2. You could be called up for military service in Brazil (depending on your age).

3. You must vote in Brazilian elections. Failure to do so is pretty serious, by all accounts.

4. There is no real advantage to having Brazilian citizenship compared to permanent residency status.

You have to be married and living in Brazil for at least one year to apply for citizenship.
You also have to pass a written Portuguese test but I found it quite basic, mostly written

Brazilian passport is ranked 18th in the world , visa free travel to 156 countries.
My South African only gets me to 97 needing visas for most of Europe and now New Zealand, as well as all of North America including Mexico.

After reviewing all responses they are very accurate as being married to a Brazilian for two decades plus and knowing a lot about and waiting to exercise my right of permanent residency and its sufficient as other expats i talked to say the same thing..

As far as voting here goes, most of the people I know don't. They choose to either make their excuse or pay their fine. I don't know how much the fine is.

Speaking of voting, do the Americans on this thread know they retain their right to vote in US elections?

I know that living in Brazil as an expat on permanancia is fine for most things. The only reason I would consider giving up my US citizenship is if the US ceased to exist. So I don't really see an advantage to having a Brazilian passport as I have all of the good with none of the bad.

Voting in Brazil is not a high priority for me. Nor is being called upon to serve in the Brazilian military although at my age this is probably not likely.  If the country were not so bureaucratic I might consider it.  If they were to say all non-citizens must leave only then would i do it.

My advice to anyone thinking about doing this  live here first for a few years  then decide.  For citizens of other third world countries this would be an upgrade for them to obtain Brazil citizenship but it isn't an advantage when exchanging it for US citizenship. Also you will be required to pay taxes to both countries don't get me wrong about paying taxes, but why would you want to pay more than you have to?

Has anybody here experianced an expired Permanent Legal Residence card? Mine was valid for 13 years. During that time I turned 60. The law says that after 60 years old, the renewal us no longer nessescary. Many average officials do not realize this fact and only see the expired date in 2014.

I have not acquired it.

I know you have to be fluent in Portuguese.

I really don't feel that it will benefit me.

Jim

Hi all
I am in florianopolis
What if i apply my naturalization in any other city ?
Do i have to inform policia federal of florianopolis ?
Will it take longer time to process like lets say in sao paulo or brasilia compare to florianopolis?
Do i have to go in different way in other city or different procedure else where?

Regards

Hashim

Look at your card if it says indeterminate you don't need to renew it. If it has a date on it you do. If the date has passed you have reapply for a new card with the PF.

Jim

You do not give up your US Citizenship. Brasil does not require that. You may maintain dual citizenships.

Moto, what have you done that makes it so people can't add you to their contacts?

Hmmmm..nothing I'm aware of! I'll check settings..
Didnt see anything so I freinded YOU.
Roger
Moto-Espresso

Hi JohnC,

I'm married to a Brazilian. I assume there is no way of living in Brazil permanently and not paying their income taxes? I was under the impression that if I get Brazilian residency then I'd be liable to pay their income taxes etc?

Thank you,
GringoBrazil9191

Are you on a payroll?

Hi MotoEspresso,

Thanks. No I'm not on a payroll. I get some income from the UK via property rentals...

I don't think you have to pay any taxes here unless the money you make originates here. Although I live here in Brazil, I consider and advertise myself as a US-based freelance writer.

Got it. No idea why, but there wasn't an option to friend you.

I think you will have to renew it after all, you said 13 years and they typically are valid for 10 years and must be renewed after 10 years, you are 3 yrs out from that. It is possible to renew but you must provide all the information presented the first time. You should have renewed it before the expiration date on the face of the card. It would have been easier to do. Your best source of info on this is the DPF they can advise you on what exactly will be needed to renew it. It may be possible for them to look it up for you and to issue you another card. I think they use your former number to initiate the renewal. The next one you receive should have Permanancia - VALID : Indeterminada ( no expiration date)  on it. Is your passport up to date? You may need that to get the new card as well.  I would suggest you go online to research the Requirements on the DPF website and make sure you have all the information needed for a renewal

By "card" are you guys talking about the ID card?

I just left the PF a couple hours ago. When I left, they gave me a small sheet of paper with my picture on that they embossed and my RNE at the bottom.

"Tipo de PedidO: REGISTRO PERMANENTE POR CASAMENTO"

She also put a stamp somewhat similar to the extension of my tourist visa on the next via page in my passport with "Registrado: Permanente."

She said I don't have to come back until I come back in 9 years to renew it.

I pay taxes on the Income i earn here however that said the money I earn here is very insignificant to be taxed and usually the taxes are very small due to the progressive tax table they use.  I imagine if i earned more the tax rate could be as high as 27% - some of the money I earn is off the table. Cash payments for doing websites for clients. The good thing about it is that Cash is KING here in Brazil because it isn't tracked by the banks or the "Meat Lion" (the Brazilian form of the "IRS").   it is always good to get paid that way a lot of native born Brazilians do that for this reason as well

You don't have to renew for 9 years BUT, if you happen to be out of the country for more than 2 years you must renew it again there is that stipulation in the law so don't be out of country longer than that. I hope you are aware of this stipulation, and I want to make others aware as well. Even if your card is dated "Indeterminada" it will also expire if you are out of country 2 years or more so in that respect it isn't like citizenship which doesn't expire unless you do

I might consider a visit of a few months.........once Comrade trumpsky is out of office. Until then, a couple/few weeks is all I can stomach.

Mike

The card is the CIE. You will have to go back to get it and they take the protocol that they gave you.

Jim

They didn't give me a card at the Policia Federal here. They gave me a half sheet of paper and put a stamp into my passport. Is that half sheet of paper the card you mentioned?  All she said was it had to be renewed in 9 years.

Mike

I believe that is what they do now. I was given a card under the old system and after I was approved I went to the PF and was given the paper you mentioned. Keep it safe   You will have to turn it in when you CIE comes.

Jim

It's in my folder of important documents to keep. Thanks Jim.

This is the paper they gave me yesterday.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn3e340y2dett … 3.jpg?dl=0

Now I just need the client my editor has to pay them so I can get back to work and pay for my wife's visa application and new passport before our tickets expire.

The paper protocol they gave you is basically worthless , many places won't reconize it

In one month an orange plastic CIE card will arrive, you go to the PF and exchange the protcol for the proper card.....this is a real document that you can travel freely in South America on.

There is a section of the PF website that lets you track the CIE cards process
it looks like this
Your process is not complete until you have the plastic card in your hand, the protocol expires after 3 - 6 months , it will have a date on it, I guess you'd hace to renew it, but I got my card after about a month

A brazilian CIE card is a big piece of orange plastic - the paper is called a protocol, basically it's just
a reciept

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=braz … mykPKzAjM:

Ahhh. Thanks Steve.

That is only the protocol you will have to check back with the DPF for the card itself. They publish the approvals in the official journal at that time you can inquire about your card they have really expedited the procedure quit a bit to a matter of weeks or months, It used to take years I have heard horror stories of people waiting up to 5 years for it.  Don't loose that paper you can't claim your card without it.

Got it. I'll be more careful with it than I was with my entry/exit card.  It's in with my important not to lose documents now.

Mike

I traveled several times with the protocol without problems.   I had mine laminated. It looked very official. If you have problems ask to talk to a supervisor. As far as entry exit papers with the CIE you no longer need them.

Jim

Thanks Jim. If I'm lucky, I'll get to travel once.

I got the protocol, but they didn't stamp my passport. Is that normal?

Sometimes it is, However, make sure they stamp the passport when you pick up the card and ask them to do it. Having the stamp in the passport means they have to also see your CIE, If you don't have the stamp in there if you travel out of the country It might look as if you overstayed your Visa. But that said Just remember to ask them to do it when you pick up the card. In Manaus they didn't stamp mine until I picked up my Card

Although it is conforming to federal laws, it seems the exact procedure changes from state to state for some reason. Makes giving advice a little difficult. I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't start a state-specific "How do I become a legal resident of Brazil/Here's what I went through" set of threads.

There's also the possibility that the procedure also differs from regional office to regional office, so what I experienced in Santos may be different from what someone in São Bernardo do Campo or one of the various São Paulo offices might experience.

Welcome to Brasil the land of a thousand different standards for the same thing.  It probably even differs by the attendant at the DPF, after all, they are not The ones who make the decisions but they act as if they are. This is the way a lot of the public service employees act in Brazil, How dare you question their authority. Even if they treat you wrong they are unlikely to ever be fired.  Don't give into the temptation to snap back you'll only make them upset and get treated worse the next time you have to deal with them