Where can I get the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry Document?

Hi,

with a little help from lady luck, my partner of eleven years and I will be getting married in Thailand next month. We only require one document which she has gone to get. The affirmation of freedom to marry document can be obtained from the Chief of Commune, is this correct?
Can he sign this document to make it legal? Or can we just get the document and get it signed by the embassy where we live in Ho Chi Minh City or in Bangkok where we are getting married.

I just need the info about this document as we have everything else but this doc is causing so many delays. So many hoops to jump through just to be with a person it is ridiculous?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Julian

As you want to marry in Thailand you have to follow Thai law.

It states that an affidavit is needed from the embassy. So your gf needs to go to the Cambodian embassy in Thailand and apply for this document. That's how I understand it.

Here is a link about Thai law and foreigners.

http://www.thaimarriage-registration.co … ation.html

Hi, thanks JoeKhmer,
Ok but I did read on Max's threads about getting married to Cambodians, and the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok would not issue the Affirmation to Marry document so that is why she has gone to Cambodia to get it.

What I really need to know is, can be obtained from the Chief of Commune? and
Can the Chief of Commune sign the document to make it legal?

I just need to know about this document.
Can we take the blank doc, complete it and get it signed or stamped in Thailand.

Any answers much appreciated.

You mix up two things: marrying in Thailand requires you to stick to Thai law, that clearly says get a affidavit from the embassy. Why don't you call the Cambodian embassy and ask?

Chief of commune is nothing and certainly any document has to be verified by some department of some ministry, like interior ministry.

The involvement of commune is only applicable when marrying in Cambodia.

May I ask what was the result of this then? Under a very serious time crunch. My cambodia fiance has emailed her embassy in Thailand asking what she needs for an affirmation. Will they be able to do it? Will they even reply soon? Or was it in her own country? I have the same question basically.

I am assuming its at her embassy as per the linked topic, in which case we are too anxiously waiting to hear what we need to bring them to make it happen. She has her divorce and passport

I just read the cambodian embassy can not legalize (stamp) marrital documents.

Here is a pdf document with more information.

http://bnglegal.com/cn/wp-content/uploa … mbodia.pdf