Are Cambodians able/permitted to marry in Thailand

Hi all,

My partner (male cambodian) and I (British female) are both living in Thailand and wish to marry there. We're both in our late 20's.

We've heard so many different stories and what we really need to know is...

Can a Cambodian national marry in Thailand if they have already obtained their family book and single certificate and other documents?

From what I've read, I do understand that marrying outside Cambodia means that the marriage will not be recognised legally there. I understand all the legal procedures about marriage law in Thailand also - it's just really if he is permitted to marry in Thailand.

Answers desperately needed!!

Of course Cambodians can marry in another country, like Thailand.

After you return to Cambodia you have to register the marriage if you want it to be official.
You don't have to, you have a marriage certificate from Thailand.

But if kids are involved now or later you need an official registered Cambodian certificate.

It has been done before, so don't worry. Unless you or your husband have been involved in criminal activities, blacklisted of in some way not the "average" citizens, there should be no problem.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks so much!

We've been told so many different things about Cambodians only being allowed to marry in Cambodia etc.

Ok, time to get ourselves married!!

Don't believe everything you hear, there are so many Cambodians that married in another country.

So go go go!

Joe

Hi,

Can you tell me more about the documents needed? I'm American and my girlfriend is Cambodian. Thanks so much.

Dave

Winebiker wrote:

Hi,

Can you tell me more about the documents needed? I'm American and my girlfriend is Cambodian. Thanks so much.

Dave

Hello Dave.

You will have to decide where [in what country] you want to get married, Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong are quite popular in that respect.

Find yourself the regulations and paperwork needed on the embassy website of the country you choose and get it done.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

So Joe,
Looks like I will marry my Cambodian lady in Hong Kong. If we decide to live in Cambodia ( versus the US )  will the fact that I am a foreigner over 50 cause problems if we try to register our marriage in Cambodia?

No, it might require some palm greasing but should be no big problem.

Cheers

Joe

hi  I would like to chat with you how get married in thailand

Hello fredi25.

I copied my answer of last year to the same question, here it is:

Of course Cambodians can marry in another country, like Thailand.

After you return to Cambodia you have to register the marriage if you want it to be official.
You don't have to, you have a marriage certificate from Thailand.

But if kids are involved now or later you need an official registered Cambodian certificate.

It has been done before, so don't worry. Unless you or your husband have been involved in criminal activities, blacklisted of in some way not the "average" citizens, there should be no problem.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

thank you so much for your fast reply
I just wanted to chat wth you

Okay joe, if posting information like this could you please explain how to yave it done because it seems like it is many struggling with this problem and has red your anser here. Hope you know what you are talking about but I doubt it.

Best regards

Joel

You doubt my advice?

Ok then be happy with it.

If you're not clever enough to go to the Cambodian embassy in Thailand and ask the requirements to marry, fine.

My answer just above this stays the same, many people have done this, you're really not the first!

Good luck.

Joe

Joe. Just called them. They won't handout any document tp a khmer citizen wanting to marry in thailand. Can you.please explain I am not clever enough and apparently many more.

Many more you say, but I know that many many more people got married, some in HongKong, most in Thailand. After marriage they had their marriage certificate registered in Cambodia, easy peasy.

Here a link:

https://www.beachrepublic.com/blog/how- … foreigners

Well I wonder how because I just called the embassy of cambodia in bangkok again and they told me they can not stamp any birth certificate or issue any kind of marital status certificate. They cannot simply help in this matter. They are clearly telling you to marry inside of cambodia.

Now maybe them you heard of married in thailand only did to show a birth certificate from sangkat?

Do you know about that?

You are on the wrong path in several ways.

Of course an embassy cannot register a birth certificate, I wonder how you could ask such a question.

And of course an embassy cannot register your Thai marriage.

The link I showed you (and others) clearly state that you need a permission to marry from the Ministry, not from an embassy.

I told you in a PM that after the child is born you need to have a birth certificate IN Cambodia, namely the Sangkat of the area where your girlfriend (used to live) lives.

No way you can do this outside of Cambodia, no way any embassy can do this for you.

I told you the least complicated way to ensure citizenship for the child plus a Cambodian passport and K-visa is that your girlfriend goes back to her country, gives birth to the child and registers the child in Cambodia, so it gets an offical Cambodian birth certificate.

Read the requirements to marry a foreigner, being a foreigner yourself, in Thailand. That was your original question right?

Good luck.

Joe

If you have a misdemeanor can you marry a Cambodian woman in Cambodia?  Or can I go to Thailand to marry her and bring her to the USA?

@JoeKhmer

Greetings Joe

I realize these posts are 5 years old.  Apparently the law for foreigners over 50 has come and gone (but i'm not sure).  I did call the Cambodian embassy in Thailand and they told me that they will not issue a single-status certificate to my Khmer girlfriend.  She must marry in Cambodia.   Unlike the US and, perhaps, some other countries, doesn't Thailand require this certificate / affidavit of single status?

Could you please elaborate on what the current situation is?

I thank you

Ed

@EDDND

NO embassy can replace a government.

Marriage, birth, single status certificates are issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs MIA.

Single status only after a letter from the sangkat where your girlfriend lives/lived.

If all documents are approved (also yours) the ministry will give out a permit to marry. With that you can marry in Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, name it.

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks for the reply, Joe

I can see that I didn't make myself clear.  According to the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok, the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs will NOT affix any stamp to a single status certificate which would have allowed a Cambodian to prove single status outside of Cambodia.  Without MOFA's cooperation, neither the Thai embassy in PP nor the Cambodian embassy in BKK can provide any assistance for marriage in Thailand.

Is this a new situation?  Is there some loophole that I am not aware of?

Thanks

Ed

@EDDND

What to do in the situation is that if your partner is married before or partnered with her ex and have children, you need to get the court judgment.

@Kosal855

Thank you for your reply.  This is totally not my girlfriend's situation.  She is 28, truly single - never married, no kids; thus the problem is not her status.  The problem is what the Cambodian embassy in Thailand is saying about the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs intentionally refusing to endorse / legalize her single-status certificate (or whatever it is called).  Can anyone else confirm this?

Without the MOFA stamp, neither the Thai Embassy in PP nor any Cambodian Embassy will touch it, which effectively forces us to marry in Cambodia.  Anyone disagree?

Is this a new situation?  The only loophole I can think of is marriage in Hong Kong or New York, where no documentation is required.  Does anyone know of any other option?

It is correct that the certificate of single will not be legalized by the Ministry.

And i don't think it is a matter that you could marry here in Cambodia since the limited age is lifted already.

@EDDND

First I didn't bother to answer as you didn't read my previous post.

You go to the wrong instances, Cambodia embassy Bangkok, Thai Embassy Phnom Penh, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

How foreign is your girl? She is Cambodian right? So all her paperwork has to be done in Cambodia, from the single certificate after having supplied the family book and an eventual divorce certificate. This is all done by the Sangkat where your girl lived or lives. She has to apply for it and advantage is that she speaks the language

After all that is done and you also have supplied the necessary paperwork the Ministry of Interior will submit a certificate to marry and if you want to marry in another country the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has to permit that

As the last poster mentioned and I have been thinking about that too, why don't you both marry in Cambodia? Your girl is from here and you are a foreigner, no matter in Thailand or Cambodia.

I hope you got a bit wiser now. And to answer your initial question: yes, cambodians can marry in Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore or wherever.

Cheers.

Joe