Engagement party

Can anyone help, me and my fiancé want to do an engagement party and show her family how much we love each other.
How do we go about the party, licences?
Do you need licenses to get engaged? Or can you just do the party?
I'm from England she is Cambodian.

Thank you for any advice

Hi
Yes you will need permission letter from commune head. If you are over 50 .you need
To get special permission from phnom  penh . You can't get wedding papers for years after
you have a child together and make a family book first,
Head of police pp wanted around 1800.00 to give permission letter for over 50 expat engagement.
If you have an engagement party without permission letter ,you can be jailed etc etc.

Or you may find permission from head of police in a smaller city if lucky.who do you know that you trust.".. that can help you.

Thank you for the information, do you know if $500 for police sounds about right for me (34 years old)
Her mother said $3000, but I thought sounded high for the whole party.
Why do you need paperwork for engagement, that's what I don't understand

Your reaction is correct, no need for paperwork to get engaged. The advice you got is related to a wedding ceremony with all hoops you have to jump through.

Engage as you like, it's not official and you don't need paperwork. What you do need though is permission of the commune head or the police (or both) to hold a party, certainly when tents, music and all is involved. I would say go talk to the commune head and invite him/her for the party, ask what you have to do to do nothing wrong. The "fee" will depend on the mood of the commune head :)

Thank you for that.
Have you any ideas about complete costs with permissions, as a rough guide
Would $2-3000 with a restaurant and band be enough?

Totally depends on how many guests, what fee for music, booze, one-day event or several days.

I never did it myself, but I have heard of $10,000, although that was with tents and a lot of guests.

hi
khmer price is 15 to 25 usd for permission letter.
your price depends on communication with the commune chief ,whom should be attending your party as well.
good luck .your so young it should nt be a prob.
wedding price for a bride for khmer is from 3000 up depending on status and agreement ,acceptance for you to marry their daughter .

small obscure villages may be different in price.

how many guests / 75.00 per 10 seats starting price and may not include all drinks.

Aside from permission letter you no need anything and it would be better if the girl go together with you to get permission letter that would cost less, without her the cost is depend on the peoples mod.
For the cost of party depends on the girl family status and range from multiple ten thousands to basic 2000, 3000 .
Remember the more sugar the more sweet drink will be. Good luck
PS. Poor girls always want a little lavish party to show in village she getting a barang rich husband.