Long term resident card - Type B card

Hello All,

As of 30.03.2017,  I have completed 5 years of stay in Belgium. this was also confirmed by the commune.

However my current resident card does not expire until 09.1.2018

could you kindly let me know how I can request for a long term resident card ? (B-card)
or should i wait until the renewal of the next resident card ?

You can already lodge the application.

Thanks for the response.

I will go check in the commune again. Last week I was there and they told me that the Ministry would issue it automatically when I apply for my next resident card. Maybe its good to make an appointment again at the commune.

Thanks for the feedback and will keep you all updated on the progress

What my commune told me is that you can apply, ministry will take some time to decide. I contacted the ministry after say 4 months, they said file is there in ministry, but card will get issued when my current RP expires. So may be your commune suggests you to apply during next renewal, just because the card will anyway be issued at expiry of current RP (just my thought).

But it is good to speak to them again and clarify this point.

I have applied for the F+. I also have more than 5 years but the B card was not offered to me just the F+. My commune is a country commune so maybe not in the know... And I'm still waiting for it. I guess because I renewed my F card they will wait until it expires to offer the F+.

Yes when the 6th RP is requested as part of continuation of stay, you will get it automatically assuming there are no gaps in your stay in the past 5 years. If so, nothing for you to do now, just wait and you'll get it. One cannot 'apply' for a PR card B it is generally given once the 5 years are completed.

solexhonda :

Yes when the 6th RP is requested as part of continuation of stay, you will get it automatically assuming there are no gaps in your stay in the past 5 years. If so, nothing for you to do now, just wait and you'll get it. One cannot 'apply' for a PR card B it is generally given once the 5 years are completed.

That changed. You don't get it automatically now. You need to lodge an official application showing your 5 work permits.

Oh, didnt know that. Thanks for the update Aneesh.

To obtain the long-term residence permit, it is necessary to apply at the local municipal offices that will refer the application onto the Immigration Office.

I am living here since 2012 and I was expecting this year that I will receive the card B automatically. I have even asked for it when i was in the commune. i had my all work permits ready, but nobody asked for it.
and  at the end I received again card A, and I have no idea why?
Any similar experience?

Visit the commune again, show your 5 work permits and tell them you want to apply for a 5 year card.

Hello. My situation is just the same. My current residence card is expiring in July 2018 but my 5 years legal stay in Belgium is over. I just asked my Gemente to send an application to Brussels for this card B and in two weeks time received an approval. They requested no any documents as they have everything in their database. Much too easy. But the conditions are that you have to stay and legally work in Belgium for not less than so many days during this 5 years term. Then it goes almost automatically.

Yes as per some new rules after 5 years you now have to request for it. Earlier it used to be that one would automatically get RP B when the 6th WP was approved and you applied for the consequent RP. So basically you now have to go and request it manually.

but is it necessary to wait that the current card A expires (mine expires in August 2018) or I can apply earlier (now)?
I have completed a legal 5 year stay in Belgium in July this year and I asked my commune (BXL 1000) for the information but no answer of course.
And what I still dont understand, I have requested a card B this June when I was renewing the residence and still I received a card A. Very annoying!

They count your legal stay not from your actual  arrival to Belgium but from the day you received your first residence card which is normally a month or so later.  If your actual stay in Belgium expires in July, then most likely you received your first card somewhere in September so that you can't apply for card B earlier.

yes, i understood that. my fist ID card is dated 15/08/2012 so actually this august I reached 5  year benchmark.
but I had to apply for the extension somewhere in june (45 days before the expiration) and then i have already demanded card B. And as I told, I received A.
So i am wondering since now this 5 year period is completed can I apply  for a card B now, or I have to wait that my card A expires 15/08 2018 and then apply for B type.
Of course I asked all that in my commune but they ignored me :)

The process is a bit weird but yes you first get the A card and then you immediately apply for the B card. It dosent make sense but thats the way it is. So basically now that you got ure last A card go and apply for the B card. You dont have to wait for it to expire to apply for the B card so go soon.


I have applied my Residence card B a week back in Antwerp deurne commune. Someone know how much time it takes to get the approval response from commune? Anyone have any recent experience?How they notify me that it's approved?

My commune says you cant apply for it - it may be granted as discretionary power. We can only apply for card D . Please advise on new rules ? where are they stated ?

My gemente - Leuven insists that Card B after 5 years cant be requested. It is solely under the discretion of the Ministry . To qualify you must have BEEN on CARD A for 5 years (note that time starts from date of first issue of card A and not when you got you WP).

If they dont convert A to B after 5 years, you may apply for card D.

Can you please tell me about new rules to request B ?

I don't think your commune is giving you correct information. Their job is to apply the card for you and ministry have to take decision whether you are eligible or not. I am not sure what you should do now but getting a lawyer's help is not a bad idea.

After completing 5 yr I applied my B card in commune, within 4 weeks I got the approval and I got my card, whole process took 35 days. Just wanted to share this information with others who are looking for insight.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Belgium

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Belgium

Moving to Belgium

Find tips from professionals about moving to Belgium

Travel insurance in Belgium

Enjoy stress-free travel to Belgium