Long term resident card - Type B card

Igor Yavorskiy :

Hello. My situation is just the same. My current residence card is expiring in July 2018 but my 5 years legal stay in Belgium is over. I just asked my Gemente to send an application to Brussels for this card B and in two weeks time received an approval. They requested no any documents as they have everything in their database. Much too easy. But the conditions are that you have to stay and legally work in Belgium for not less than so many days during this 5 years term. Then it goes almost automatically.

Does that mean you didn't have to wait to the expiration of your A card before applying for B one? When I came to Deurne commune, they insisted that even though I am eligible for B card, it can only be requested when the existing A one is expired.

I wonder how you convinced the staff to send your application to Brussels?

James chad :

After completing 5 yr I applied my B card in commune, within 4 weeks I got the approval and I got my card, whole process took 35 days. Just wanted to share this information with others who are looking for insight.

Did you have to wait to the expiration of your A card before applying for B one?

Applying for 5-year cards depends on the employer? ( Belgian employer or works on an assignment here)

After having gone through all the paperwork, I am giving answer to myself. Yes, it is able to apply for residence permit B as soon as 5-year working criteria is met no matter current A permit is still valid or not.

I’m staying in Belgium for  past 5 years, and I have valid 6 work permits (continues without any break), latest work permit expires on dec 28,2018. I applied for B cArd in September, 2018 and commune have sent my file to ministry. I haven’t got any confirmation from ministry on my file.

I haven’t applied for work permit again thinking since I already completed 5 years I will get B card. My RP will expire in jan 2019. Now I wonder should I apply work permit just in case!

Any advice??

Your approval will come by end of your current RP I believe. Do consult your employer and commune for confirmation(if you need to apply another wp).

Thanks Aneesh.

I went to commune and they told me apply for work permit irrespective of decision on B-Card.

Now, my situation is as follows,

1. Work permit is getting expired on 28-Dec-2018, and my employer will apply for work permit on 2/3 jan 2019.
2. Since my resident permit getting expired on 28-Jan-2019, commune told me I can stay till then.

my worry is, if B-Card decision is negative and since my employer is applying for work permit on 2/3 Jan for extension, not sure how much time it will take to get the approval! and if the approval comes after my resident card expiry(29-Jan-2019), what should I do? continue to stay? since I have applied for new work permit?

I'm really  scared of my situation, not sure what to do!

For others,

Work permit is very very important! irrespective of you applied for B-Card or not, always apply for work permit. I made a mistake(my company also!) of not applying thinking that since I have applied for B-Card it will be take care!

Very true. Till your residence permit type B is not in your hand, you need a work permit to be legally working here. Now, I am pretty sure your long term resident card (rp type b) will be approved by end of your current rp.

If that doesn’t happen. I am not sure of the legalities :(

The commune verified Originals along with photocopies, so you need original copies for verification purpose, of course it depends on commune to commune.

Hi! Could you please tell us how you did at the end? I am in the same situation.

Hi! Could you please tell us how you did at the end? I am in the same situation.

Luckily I got my BCard approved! My feeling is if your resident card is valid and you have applied for B-Card extension 3/4 months prior then you should get your approval!

Is there anyone who switched from A card to B card via "automatic process"?
When you apply for the new A card, they approve B card automatically after 5th year.
This is what they say. Is there anyone who experienced that?

I have been studying with for 5 years in Belgium , till masters level and living at the address with my family who are citizens of Belgium ( sister, brother in-law, and their three kids) and been doing some student jobs under permit c as international student. so being a non-EU individual, so do i qualify for PR and which one.

The reason why am asking is that i have approached by many recruiters interested in my  specialty and knowledge via my linkedin  but only have permit C.

Hi Ttush5,

As you pointed out, you were on student status. So you are not in order for the work permit or for the resident visa. So via a Belgian potential employer, you will prepare a complete file for that.

Any ideas? :(

No. Because there are no automatic process. You have to go to City hall.

That's what Districthuis in Antwerp is saying. They say, apply for the new A card, then Brussels will automatically issue B card if you have filled 5 years in Belgium.

Nowadays they tell everyone same. That's why I am wondering if anyone has done like this and got B card approved.

Hi,

I applied for my card B on October 2018 and i am still waiting for the reply. Did you follow any process? I mean did you call ministry? or pushed commune by approaching them again and again? or used any lawyer? or was it automatically approved?

Thanks

yossupaga :

That's what Districthuis in Antwerp is saying. They say, apply for the new A card, then Brussels will automatically issue B card if you have filled 5 years in Belgium.

Nowadays they tell everyone same. That's why I am wondering if anyone has done like this and got B card approved.

No, A card would be issued by default. You have to explicitly request for B card. The civil servant there will do something with their system and submit the request in front of you.