Why did you decide to permanently stay in Malta

So we have been in Malta for over 7 months now. There is a culture shock theory which explains most peoples feelings when they live abroad. At first you feel great and everything looks great. Then you start to see problems and then you really start to see a lot of problems. After this things start to even out and you accept the good and bad so that you finally adapt to the new culture.

I think I am at the stage of seeing a lot of problems. Like renting, lazy attitude to business and laid back attitude to caring about the environment. I like Malta for other reasons of course but when I think of the future and staying here permanently I just don't know. But I wouldn't want to make quick decisions at this stage. So what is it that kept you here? Or for those of you who didn't - why not?

in all honesty - the fact there are just as many problems in the uk -  hate to say it but same rubbish different island - the benefits i get here , the sun  (health wise that makes a massive difference) the sea and the view of st pauls island from bugibba as the suns setting .

You get used to the differences and learn to deal with them and to me it feels comfortable - not everyone feels the same though

To many come here thinking it will be the same as where they come from, to me the whole point of moving abroad is for a different way of life, being retired it's just right for us with the more relaxed way of life and being able to sit outside enjoying the lovely weather for the majority of the year, not just an odd day.

I retired here & like the previous note the same reasons,I found the people very friendly  & helpful drove my car here from UK now sorting out paperwork, have to accept the Malta way, but you get there in the end.

After some time you see the problems, or rather, you discover them. You have to live a good amount of time before you fully know the island, even if it looks small, it is bigger than one can think. Some problems are common to other places, like corruption, contamination, lack of green areas, others are unique to Malta. All in all changes greatly considering where you live, just living in another town can make a huge difference.

As a serial expat, I love that you're fully aware of the many stages we go through every time we move! It's easy to get frustrated and to throw in the towel when you hit that stage of noticing all the problems. But, as everyone else has mentioned, there are problems everywhere in the world. Just evaluate the ones you're noticing here and weigh them out against the ones you experienced back home. You left home for a reason (or several), so remember that and measure it against your life here. Only you can decide if Malta is right for you. And no decision has to be final anyway...you can always change your mind again in the future :)