Mistakes expats make in Kuwait

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Kuwait? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Kuwait to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Hi I need students to tutor. Urgently.

check out websites like my private tutor, you can find them there ;)

Sure, Kuwait is a very easy place to get along in.  Do the Dos and Don't Do the Don'ts.  During the holy season stay indoors whenever possible.  There is no need to be out chillin and risk making a mistake like firing up a cigarette.  If you have tattoos,  and I do, keep them covered up.  Ink is a private-personal thing and there is no need to put them on public display.  Stay away from "boat parties" and "villa parties".  If they get raided the nationals will get off and you will go to jail.  Go to Bahrain if you want a drink and do not bring any liquor back with you.  Like I said, Kuwait is a simple place to get along in.  Respect their laws and customs and everything will be fine.

Hi   welcome to all

my very important message for  all who coming in Kuwait  new  or old   avoid all kind of medicines except  your doctor prescribed  with [prescription]   and avoid someone trying to  sending through you too. because  this year  too many cases about medicine  many of them trap also .  so please  very care full about the traveling procedures  and law.

Thanks all.

My mistake that I think most expats can learn from me is this. I failed to adapt to "mandoub" and "wasta" concept fast enough. Whatever that mandoub can settle for you, let them do it. Most MNC or big corporations have them. Use their service. It's much2 faster than you personally going to that unknown unfamiliar place government offices and trying to speak english when everyone else talk Tamil or Arabic. Except for the local Kuwaitis which speak  fluent english, most other expats english level are basic at most! You'll be struggling to understand them and they'll be struggling to understand you!

And "Wasta" is special VIP red carpet lane you should use every time you're offered or have opportunity upon as it'll get rid alot of hassle, red tapes and bureaucracies usually imposed to expats! Esp for basic stuffs such as your Civil ID and driving license. Nothing wrong here, just how the culture of Kuwait is.

And never ever over-tip your mandoub as they can and will be greedy once they know that 10 KD is nothing to you. 10 KD might be small change where you come from(esp if you're from Western countries) but to them it's probably a week's meal!

Always tip them small change like 100fills or maybe at most 500fills(1/2 KD notes) but only give 1 KD if you're really happy with their services! Fast and efficient takes a whole new meaning here in Ku-Wait.

Will update further if anything else comes to mind though!