Anti Malaria Medication

I am soon to be arriving in Ghana and working in the Brong-Ahafo Region. I am just pdating all my vaccinations and resolving the question of malaria prevention.

Because of the long term nature of my stay, Doxycycline seems a good option. Has anyone any experience of this medication?

How easy is it to purchase in Ghana?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Malcolm

Malcolm,
Just a bit of google may give you loads of info. Check this out
medicinenet.com/doxycycline/article.htm
I would advise you purchase this from a very reputable chemist though i donŽt even trust them.  There are lots of fake medicine in circulation.  Best would be to try have someone buy for you from europe or wherever youŽre from. Personallyi donŽt take medicines..just natural supplements.
Nance

Thank you for your advice, I have been researching this anti-malaria drug but I had not seen that article thank you. I really do not like taking medication but I understand the incidence of malaria is quite high in Ghana particularly outside of Accra. What natural supplements can help?

It has been difficult finding a defined practice for anti malaria.  From all my reading I come to these conclusions:

1.  It does not stop you getting malaria.
2.  Use precautions:  Reppellants, nets (if your not annoyed), long sleeves and pants, etc
3.  They are hard on your body /Liver
4.  and some not recommended for long term use.
5.  Some people take them, some don't.
6.  Keep your body healthy. 
7.  and everyones experience is different.  So expect Impermanence and change.

Thanks for the link...Good info.

Thanks for the comments.

I have reached the same conclusions.

I believe I will start with the Doxycycline but fully expect to give up medication in favour of precautions once I am accustomed to the location.

It will be the first time I will have taken anti-malaria drugs in all my travels but my work commitments are such that I must avoid illness if I can particularly in the early days.

We did exactly what you are planning. We took the medication for the first few months so that we wouldnŽt disturb the kidsŽ transition to a new school. Our daughter got malaria anyway (Nov 2010) and after her treatment we all stopped taking the anti-malarial drugs hoping t0o get it over the Christmas vacation.

Our 1 1/2 year old might possibly have had it, the mosquitos refuse to bite my son and husband and I have not suffered from it yet. The teachers at my daughterŽs school were congratulating my older daughter as if she had had chicken pox or something.
You might change your mind when you are in Ghana but make sure you bring good medication as the other member said. You can buy it in Accra and bring it with you to wherever you are going.