Special foods in Ghana?

Hello,

My family intends to move to Ghana round about July time, but I have a bit of a concern.  My son has an allergy to gluten and dairy.  He drinks Soya milk or almond milk. I was wondering how easy is it to get special foods that cater to people with allergies and intolerances to certain foods?
Is there an organic shop that will sell such foods?   Here we can find gluten free rice and pasta easily in the shops.

Any help and information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hope someone will advise you about gluten free food but I know you can definitely get soya milk in most supermarkets.

Hi,

First of all I want to tell you how sicerely I can relate to your problem, having been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity a year ago. Not just me, I have put my son on a gluten free diet too. I am from India and although you dont get gluten free foods like Dubai or western countries, I was able to get gluten free pasta and flour for making parathas.

But I have found it is difficult to get gluten free flour or bread in Accra though you get a variety of pasta and cake mix.  My son is finding this difficult but I have been getting along. The good news is, the local ghanaian food is mostly gluten-free as they use corn and tapioca for their preprations. It is an acquired taste but once you get a hang of it you can prepare or purchase them for your son. You do get soya milk in different flavours from the supermarket although I dont know enough about almond milk. There is no organic food shop in Accra as I know of, but hope for one to open in future.

With regards

I looked in Maxmart today when I was shopping and saw a variety of gluten free products so I don't think you will have a problem. However my one piece of advice I would give when shopping in Ghana is that when you see something you need buy it and in reasonable quantity as there is no guarantee that when you go the next time it will be in stock.

Thank you very for all your information, I feel somewhat relieved that I can get this there. You have been a really big help.
Warm reagards