Marriage

Can someone please enlighten me on the following: I've heard somewhere that a barang of more than 55 years cannot legally marry a Khmer. Is that so? Would a marriage performed overseas be accepted in Cambodia?
I understand the rationale behind the governments reluctance to let any old man marry a 16 year old bimbo, but here I'm enquiring about marrying an almost 40 year old woman. I'm 65 myself.
Thanks for your time.

Not allowed for men of 50 years and older, on top they have to earn at least $2500 a month.

You can do the "easy" marriage, find a monk who does the official part, have parents and witnesses dressed up and have a drinking party for 2 or 3 days in the village.

That will satisfy the lady and her family, but you cannot register it.

Some people go to HongKong to marry, don't know if that can be registered in Camboda.

My understanding is that if you are over 50 you cannot marry, however, if you go abroad and get married, your marriage is legal, however, I am not sure of the legality behind it.

Thanks for your replies. I'm aware that a piss-up counts as a wedding for the locals, if not for the government. That's why I want to find out whether an o/s marriage is legally binding here as well.

why buy the cow when can milk it on an as needed basis?

I am intending to marry a 39 year old woman also, and she tells me that we can get married in Thailand.  That's easier than going to Hong Kong.

Why is everyone so intent on getting married? serious question...  besides judging me on asking such a question--- what are the benefits of marrying someone in a 3rd world country ??   
i can see the woman wanting it for stability...

bstanley wrote:

I am intending to marry a 39 year old woman also, and she tells me that we can get married in Thailand.  That's easier than going to Hong Kong.

Let me tell you one thing: In Thailand NOTHING is easy.

As to Ruvanes remark. It is a social thing, highly pushed by the family of the girl. People in their village will ask why their daughter did not marry and they feel ashamed about it. They push their daughter to get married, have a drinking party in the village and then no more questions from villagers.
That brought me years ago to the conclusion that it's all about the outside, and an "unofficial" wedding would serve that purpose too, there will be a monk, tents and booze, so all looks official, no villager gives a rats a... about documents making it official.

If you really want to register your marriage and want to marry in another country, be aware that you will still be expected to give a village party, as to officially show that you and the girl are married now.

Would an overseas marriage get you a residency? I'm aware of the 'need' for the girl to be kosher and the avidity of the village for a big piss-up. I made it quite clear that it is their problem and that I would not be coerced into doing something just to please them

If that is your opinion, don't let her force you into a marriage in another country.
Offer the unofficial marriage if that makes everyone happy, including you, if not don't do it, you are not obliged to marry, I live with my girlfriend and no way we are going to marry, but she and family are very happy with our relationship....

As for citizenship, here the rules:

A foreigner who may apply for naturalization shall fulfil the following conditions:

shall have a paper certifying that he/she has good behavior and moral conduct issued by the chief of the commune (Khum) or quarter (Sangkat) of his/her own residence.
shall have a letter of certification of the past criminal record that stated that he/she had never been convicted for any criminal offence before.
shall have a paper certifying that such person has his/her residence in the Kingdom of Cambodia and who has been living continuously for seven (7) years from the date of reception of a residence card that was issued under framework of the Law on Immigration.
shall have residence in the Kingdom of Cambodia at the time when he/she is applying for naturalization.
shall be able to speak Khmer, know Khmer scripts and has some knowledge of Khmer history, and prove clear evidence that he/she can live in harmony in Khmer society as well as can get used to good Khmer custom and tradition.
shall have his/her mentality and physical aptitude which will cause neither danger nor burden to the nation.

Thanks Joe, for your elaborations.
I wasn't looking at naturalization just yet, only for residency, if that's of any use. But I'm informed that there isn't such a thing as a resident visum, just the ability to extend your standard visum for as long as you want, at this stage anyway.

That goes for everyone, yearly Ordinary visa is available.

When you have a lease/rental contract, a bank account, or a work permit, then you are considered a resident. Just there are no specific advantages of that.