Looking for accommodation - swap homes

Hi,
My husband and I currently live in the UK and are hoping to take some time out to live in Kenya for at least a few months, early in 2018. We have a house in London which we'd be happy to swap with someone who has a home near the Masai Mara, or other attractive area near a national park or beach. We're also interested to hear from people who don't want to swap homes, but have somewhere to rent for a few months. We have two children and are looking for houses with at least three bedrooms. A pool would be nice but not essential. We're not looking to work while in Kenya, but want to soak up the African way of life, the environment, wildlife and animals, and experience something totally new.
Any tips much appreciated!
Thanks
Carla

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please post your ad in the housing section + you should share your contact via pm. Thank you.

Hi Carlamarie35

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Kenya forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

For all housing requests, i advise you to post in the housing in Kenya section as it might give your ad a little boost.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hello,

In looking for a potential home, you do need to think about security, particularly if you don't know the country.  Personally, I wouldn't want to live near Maasai Mara, its very sparsely populated.  It would be better to live close to other expats and in a relatively populated area.  I don't recommend a 'Flame Trees of Thika' type lifestyle. 

Naivasha area is a possibility.  Nyeri and Nanyuki are also worth considering.  There are national parks a short drive away from both these places.  There are also plenty of properties to rent at the coast.  Diani and Nyali are worth considering.

If you think that you will have lots of wildlife and animals on your doorstep, then you are likely to be disappointed.  We have lots of birds and a few monkeys where we live.  To see other animals, you have to travel into the parks (and pay).

Google Maps is quite useful for orientating yourself.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Its very safe in Kenya! Nice climate and ofcourse soo much to remember......... I am from Central Kenya In Kiambu county.