Best Location for Arts & Music

Hi everyone,
Thinking of moving to Budapest from Canada.
Which is the best location to live for someone who loves live music and the arts?
Close to fantastic food and coffee shops and places for Yoga and meditation.

The thought of living in a place that offers all of the above appeals to me greatly because then I wouldn't need a car.

I enjoy walking anyway and even on the coldest days walk anywhere from 5 to 8 kilometres a day.

Also, roughly how much would a very nice furnished, one bedroom apartment cost me in the area I am looking?

Thanks & Regards

Subways, buses and trams are enough to get you around most of Budapest. You only need to consider a car if you like to drive around the countryside, or to other parts of Europe, to off the beaten track areas, or do not want to be limited to bus and train timetables.

Hi,
I would choose the 5th district, downtown, close to the St. Stephan Bazilika. Rent would be cca 120.000 - 140.000 HUF appr 420€.
Dora

Thanks for the replies - thinking Budapest will be my home base for retirement, something about it has always appealed to me and ton be honest - I've never met a Hungarian I didn't like. By the way guys, would an after tax pension of 3500 euros suffice for a happy and comfortable life ? I can make this a reality in about 2 years so trying to get some info now. I know 2 years will go by quickly and a move like this takes some preparation.
Regards 😊

Crazyfoo wrote:

By the way guys, would an after tax pension of 3500 euros suffice for a happy and comfortable life ?

This has been discussed before.

https://www.expat.com/forum/317-22-cost … apest.html

In short, no one can answer that unless we know your lifestyle. If you like imported caviar and champaign for breakfast, then 3500 will not be enough.  :(  (I am being facetious simply to make a point.)

For all else, to self compare costs in Budapest today, to your lifestyle, this is a good comparison site:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Budapest

However, current expenses can not predict future inflation or currency exchange rates. Even with your retirement income adjusted for Canadian inflation, it is unknown if that can keep up with local inflation. C'est la vie.

P.S. If you have never lived in Hungary, do note: Visiting Hungary is not the same as living here. Visitors do not have to deal with local bureaucracy. And you may eventually run across some Hungarians you do not like (because we are all human, and there are good and bad people everywhere).

3500€ after tax will provide you a comfortable easy life in Hungary, with all the benefits. Even this could cover any upcoming health-related costs such as glasses, dentist, etc. Go ahead!

My impression is that you don't need to live right in the center of town to enjoy all the musical events and art events because Budapest is a very vibrant city anyway. Rents and eating out is at a higher price right in the city .
Also you can have parking issues in the center of town and living on a street that has many tourists and bars and cafes can be less restful especially at the weekends.

I live in the inner part of district 9 and I can walk into town in ten minutes. Also the public transport system is very cheap and good . There are even night busses. I do have a car but I keep it out of town at my holiday home,  because there is really no need for me to use it in the city.
I can't really make any comments about income and affordability but I find my little pension is sufficient for me to do all I wish to.  If I wanted I could find something different to attend every night of the week. But I am a homebody who enjoys doing her own cooking.
Currently live music events are very cheap to attend compared to the uk and often I can spend all evening in a bar that has a live music act for just the price of a couple of drinks .

anns wrote:

I can spend all evening in a bar that has a live music act for just the price of a couple of drinks .

And, if there is no cover charge for the band, then a tip into the tip jar for the band, if there is one, is appreciated by the musicians.  :)