Do you speak Maltese?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Maltese is essential for a successful integration in Malta. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Maltese? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Malta?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Maltese?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

It's not easy but speak to a degree and understand a lot. I think courses are free for foreigners living in Malta.

I live in a small village here and everyone understands my London accent....however I believe its only fair and respectful that I try my best to learn as much Maltese as my brain will allow hehe!
I know the basics for saying "Good Morning" and buying my groceries but its not enough and I want to have more words in my Maltese vocabulary!
Everyone who I come into contact on a regular basis knows I'm making an effort and they even write words down for me to take away and learn. The shopkeepers are the best where I live and they are genuinely happy to help me with my mistakes in my trying to speak their language and are very patient!
Debbie 😊

Thankfully no, in 3 weeks I have only come across one worker that couldn't quite understand me, although I think he was doing well! There is something quite respectful about having a stab at learning their language though :)  You will be 99.9% fine w/ English. It seems a fading language particularly with the children coming through school - kinda sad really

Maltese is a very difficult language to learn I think but if one chooses to live in a foreign country then one should make the effort to learn some of the language.
Those who do not know " next stop" go to the back of the class.. :D
Ray

strewthiminmalta wrote:

You will be 99.9% fine w/ English. It seems a fading language particularly with the children coming through school - kinda sad really

I'm not so sure Maltese is a fading language... in my experience, when among themselves, many Maltese clearly prefer "their" language to English! Sure they all understand English, though.

I have also noticed there is quite a difference between the central areas (Sliema, ...) where you hear English most of the time, and smaller places, especially further south or north (e.g. Zejtun or Mgarr, in Malta - not the one in Gozo), where Maltese seems to be prevalent.

Agree, however, there seems less focus in the school curriculum and you're right, particularly in the bigger cities

When we came to Malta when I was younger and stayed with relatives  I thought the Maltese were all fluent in English like my family who are from Sliema. My mum never taught it to me because my dad isn't Maltese, I grew up in Canada, and she never thought I would live here. My relatives speak English among themselves.
A friend was visiting a few months ago and joined my family for my aunt's 80th birthday. Afterwards she said she found it interesting that everyone has a slightly different accent. My aunt's is Briitish-like (raised in Sliema post world war 2, my cousins slightly 'sing-song' (you'll know what I mean if you know the accent :), and their children who studied in England a mix of Maltese and British as well.
I was happy they only spoke English which made my friend (and me!) feel more welcomed. So for me this 'speak Maltese to respect the locals' doesn't quite jive. My family is Maltese and English is their first language. My mum doesn't read and write it (never learned in British schools) whereas my cousins do... But I don't think my cousins' children all read and write.
Having said that, I did take a course and found it interesting. It helped me to be able to read a bit more than speak. There are occasional words and phrases that come to me suddenly which my mum used to say (to herself out loud) when I was a kid... :).

Being a true Londoner , we are diverse and used to a multinational/multicultural society and all of my friends back there try to appreciate other peoples ethnicities and cultures. We are proud to try and respect other peoples languages and embrace this.

I know from living here in Malta where we live that the local Maltese are very pleased that we speak ( or try to) speak their language. They're great 😁

I did my best with Maltese.  Took courses at the local council 4 years in a row.  Did and aced the exam after the 3rd year. Went back for a 4th year for good measure.  But, alas, I cant speak Maltese as there's/was little communicative focus in (my) lessons.  People who have teachers that follow the EFL model fare better. I can read basic things and conjugate some verbs, know when normal language switches to swearing, follow when people greet and leave each other, and help my year 4 son with basic homework.

I don't need it, though. My job's in EFL so I'm PAID to speak English. :D

English - an official language in Malta - is essential for successful integration with the global community, whether in Malta or elsewhere.

Several times I tried to learn Maltese, but all my efforts were in vain  :sosad:

Maltese appreciate if you can at least say a couple of words and phrases. But I guess it also makes the proud if you admit, that their language is too difficult for you to learn it  :) However, not speaking Maltese never was a hindrance in my daily life and to get in contact with Maltese.

When working in a Maltese company, the language among the local colleagues is Maltese. Without command of Maltese language, you won't be able to get quite many local jobs (sales, marketing, customer care (aside Online Gaming), administration, legal, accounting, engineering etc.). For such positions it's not sufficient to only attend a "Maltese for Foreigners" course ... hence you have to forget them. point.

Luckily, there are enough other opportunities available.
I'm working at a Maltese run export company, mainly dealing as with clients of my language. More or less I'm in my own "bubble" (key account), doing my own procedures within the companies guidelines. Communication outside my bubble is in English. And to be honest, sometimes I'm even glad not understanding what they are saying and shouting around all day long ...  :lol:

The best way for me is to improve my (business) English, get used to certain English dialects - and learn Italian !!!
Many Maltese speak Italian, many Italians are living in Malta, in Sicily you won't get far without Italian, it's a language spoken from 60+ million people ... and I like the melody of this language  :top:

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the classifieds.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
matm911 wrote:

Without command of Maltese language, you won't be able to get quite many local jobs (sales, marketing, customer care (aside Online Gaming), administration, legal, accounting, engineering etc.). :

I would like to add some nuance to this. My (Maltese) wife works for a government agency, but she has Italian, Bulgarian (?), Russian (??) colleagues. And our neighbour is Italian but also works for another Maltese government agency :)

Either way, best to try to learn a little, people will like you a lot more :)

Hi

I dont speak Maltese, but speak Portuguese, English and Spanish...may be I can help in Malta .

rgds

marceloh10 wrote:

Hi

I dont speak Maltese, but speak Portuguese, English and Spanish...may be I can help in Malta .

rgds

Help who?

The question was 'do you speak Maltese'

Ray

Thanks Bhavna for drawing my attention :)

Do you know where I can look to find free lessons in Maltese? I'm moving here in August and want to learn as much as I can , tks

Hi there's a place in Mellieha called "Art 2000" that is starting Maltese lessons in March....I realise you wont be here then but I'm sure that they'd still be running them or have info about them still in August!

Ive just moved to mellieha  & would be interested in learning Maltese any details would be great