Bob in Cusco

Having spent some time in Arenal, CR over the last 15 years as a visitor and buying property in 2002, I sold it  5/16. There were the regular expats and the ones that came and went. Because I hadn't established myself down there because I still had a job, I only met the "Bar people". As I am one (I'm single). But I heard and witnessed (by staying at that hotel) that the non bar expats had a Every Tuesday Breakfast Meeting that looked fun. But the Bar people weren't there. So not being an expat yet I was reluctant to introduce myself.
I retired 3 years ago and was planning to move to CR and at the last minute moved to Grass Valley, CA. At that time and not visible yet, the bark beetle moved in too. So the following year clusters of 120 ft. Ponderosa pines ( for 360 degrees, as far as the eye could see) were starting to die. I put my house up for sale the following year when it was looking worse. Then the first issue I got from International Living magazine, 8/16, featured Cusco, with expats, as the main story so I moved here 2 weeks after my house sold. Not thinking about going on-line for expat info. I found 4 expats and they said "That's it". Bar guys and they just meet at the bar. So I'll have been here 3 months in 9 days and I hope to meet a larger group of PATS when I get to Chile. Being new to expat.com I'm looking forward to meeting new expats there.  Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to https://www.expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I am sure you will find lots of contacts here. Do not hesitate to participate on other topics on the forum Peru.

;)
Christine
Expat.com

Hi Bob, I live just outside of Cusco in Huarocondo, my wife and I own and run a bed and breakfast so we are usually busy with it and our guests, but we do have the occasional bit of down time. If you would like to come by for coffee or to try our towns specialty of lechon sometime, just message me and we will arrange something.

Mongo466, I'm in Cusco till the 12th. Then to Punta Arenas, Santiago, for a month each. I've rented motorcycles here but I don't trust the weather to get rained on now. Is there a bus to get out there?   Bob

Later

There are Colectivos that will get you here. You can take one from Cusco to Izcuchaca for S/3 Soles, then a second from Izcuchaca to Huarocondo for S/1 Sol. Once in Huarocondo the colectivos drop off at the plaza and we are at the end of the first block, up the right side of the church (Jr. Independencia.)

Mongo, My Spanish isn't too good and trying to find where the Colectivos are for that drive would be a hassle. If the weather was better I'd take a chance and ride a motorcycle rental out there but the rain comes thru every day now. I'm going to Chile Thursday for 2 months and not sure when I'll be back. I'm reading a lot on Uruguay and that could be next. Thanks for the invite and if I do come back I'll look you up.  Bob

cheers  safe travels

No problem, enjoy the trip.

If you don't mind sharing I might Ike to pick your brain a bit. Are you an American (north)  just traveling in South America or are you permanently expat? And did you leave just because you like to travel or due to concerns about where (y)our country is headed?
I am a single mom of 3 kids in the US. My grandmother fled Germany during the Russian invasion and ultimately ended up here.
I see many of the same things happening in my country that she saw in hers before she was forced to leave.  I don't want to wait until there is panic in the streets, & even if there wasn't a total collapse,  I want to raise my children in a different culture and lifestyle with less emphasis on the material , & on slave driving oneself into the grave. I'm all for hard work and would toil the rest of my days but I want to work for me and my kids, for other PEOPLE, the work of life and living, not slaving away to have my earnings stolen and garnished unlawfully/unconstitutionally by a corrupt corporate entity.

I feel drawn to South America and have for years. But with 3 children I can't just pick up and go Iike I could if I was by myself. So much research is required yet I'm already stretched so thin, & id have to get real creative to support us through such a transition.
It sounds like an impossible and unrealistic goal but I don't want to look back and regret not doing what I felt called to do. Going to another country is not the end of the world, people do it all the time.
But I would love to get some input from someone who has expatriated to South America, has been to different places down there and who can tell me a little about it.
I was thinking Peru or Argentina might be good places to look at .
I was just wondering if you might be willing to share some of your experience? Where you have been, where you'd recommend, and other various related aspects/topics.

@ Freegirl13 -Was your question directed at Bob, or myself?

Freegirl13, I'm in Punta Arenas, (the most southern city in the world) Chile since 0200 today. Just got back from the grocery store to stock up. Rented a studio apt. for $1,227./month on airbnb. Not getting much for that price. Patchy clouds, a little windy and my mercury thermometer outside says 70. To us it's July 14th, summer.
I left a beautiful old gold mining town, Grass Valley, CA. (produced more gold from 1851 to 1972 than any town in the Sierra Nevada) because the bark beetle was, is, killing all the 120 ft. Ponderosa pines. I'm the first to leave for that reason. And I told everyone so. I left the USA because all the media said Hilary would win. I will not live in a country with her as president. Then I'm sitting in a bar at the Plaza in Cusco watching Trump win on Spanish CNN.
But as a retired Seaman I had the itch to travel anyway. I don't know if we have the same reasons, but I hate the USA. I think it's a sick country out of control. Hollywood spreads it crap all over the world. You can't get away from it. Anyway I'm a Nuevo expato since 10/13/16. I hadn't been to South America so I'm checking it out. Montevideo and Buenas Aires are coming up. Uruguay sound like a nice place. Check it out on Wikipedia. So I'm too new at S.A. to give you any advice. Check me out in a year. I'll know more. Bob