Waiting for my entry visa to start teaching English for MOE Jan 2017

Hey guys

This is my first time posting in a forum so excuse me if I go against convention.

My name's Muhammad. I was offered a position to work for the MOE in UAE by Teachaway. I started the application way back in July and after legalising my documents I'm now being told that I should receive my visa soon. I've been told that I should be okay to start in Jan 2017... is anyone else in a similar situation?

I heard that could happen. I'm going August 2017 and was told that even after I've completed the visa application process, it could take a while....or about a month. Was told you never know and to be "flexible".

I've not worked for MOE but I did work for ADEC and flexibility like you never thought you possessed is what will make you successful during that wait and when you get there. I waited from Aug to Dec for my ticket and when the ticket was finally issued I was gone in less than a week.

Where are you at now Korbie, if you don't mind me asking? Any pieces of advice you could give an incoming American male teacher to Abu Dhabi?

Hey WorldTraveler2017! I'm in the DC area(Laurel,MD) while I wait for me next contract to come through. Patience is key. When you get there take the tea. Whenever they offer you tea go. That's where all real decisions are made. Be open. If you're going to work for ADEC, HCT or ADVETI you probably have no say in where you're going to be placed. I was placed in Al Gharbia and though I was terrified at first 'cause of all the horror stories I'd heard, it turned out to be the best thing ever for me. Be prepared to adapt quickly. Make friends with native Arabic speakers. You may have the best practice but they are the keepers of cultural knowledge. Do your level best to resist the glitz. I lived in the UAE for 5 years and saw many teachers get caught up in trying to keep up with the locals or other professionals who earn way more. Credit is easy...easy to come, easy to get into trouble. If you like to travel as your name suggests get a credit card linked to an airline for points (I've booked flights to the US and back all on points) but keep balance low or 0. Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.  It's tough but a great experience.

Thank you so much "neighbor"! I used to live in Laurel! Live a little further north now and still work in Bowie. That is important insight that I will definitely take into consideration. I'm looking forward to the new experiences! Is there a FB group, you belong to?

Hi everyone!

It has been helpful to see your comments. I have been offered a job starting in Jan 2017 for the MOE. This project started new this September.  I have done my research and found out the MOE project is the ADEC/ADVETI project just renamed and taken over by the government. Can you give any advise Korbie82 about working for ADEC. As I have read some horror stories online. These are all from people who have worked for the MOE/ADVETI;  it has put me off slightly. Please help anyone who has worked for them.

1. You get 42 days holiday a year which is less then we get as teachers now in the UK and US. You don't get the standard 6 week holiday in the summer. In total you get 6 weeks a year.

2. You have to sign in to show you are dead on time everyday as your pay will be deducted if a minute late.

3. You have unruly students/ as they students who can't get into university and have bad work ethic. If you don't pass the 3 months probation you will get your contract ended.This worries me as in UAE you have to take out a 6 month or 12 month rental contract. If you get lumbered with massive rental costs if you don't pass the 3 months.. no job.. can't pay rent. If debts aren't payed straight away you end in prison.

4. The MOE don't pay your rent up front ( then deduct the amount owing from your wages.. which is fair enough) so you have to take a loan or bring 6 months rent out with you. So like 10 grand upfront or loan from UAE. They don't give allocation allowance like a lot of jobs in UAE.

5. HR are meant to be slow and don't answer you back at all. So any HR issues you don't have it easy.

Anything else please inform us.

Thank you for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Katherine

Also second note. People have told me that they get moved from emirate to emirate. They don't tell you where you will be placed, what emirate until you arrive on the day, so you have no clue what city you will be living and working in.

Thank you for any help guys, really appreciate. I just want to know what I am letting my self in for before I move. Don't want to go in eyes shut and not aware of what I am facing

Thank you have a lovely Christmas

Kind regards
Katherine

Heya Katherine,

To be honest I've heard not such nice things about ADVETI but I've not had direct experience with them so I can't speak to how true these things are. However...

I do know the MOE does include housing allowance in your monthly salary so yes you'll need to take a loan. However, more landlords are willing to accept multiple checks so I would look for a place that would cost no more than 2 months of my salary for one payment(if that makes sense). This would decrease the amount of upfront loan debt you'll get yourself in and allow you to save before your next payment is due in a few months. Just an idea. (ADEC provides housing so I never had to worry about that and my previous company there gave housing allowance upfront)

As for probation...I don't know any teachers who were let go during probation. If anything they left on their own. Again if you're concerned about this I would find a studio that's monthly until you're more secure in your position...if your situation allows you to live in a studio.

As to the students, it's a crap shoot. I was lucky with a great school with supportive admin who I'm still friends with today but others weren't so lucky. It all depends honestly.

Toward the end of my time with ADEC all schools had sign-in clocks installed. We signed in with our fingerprint. This was because there were so many people late or not showing up at all but having friends sign them in. Plus some admin like to let teachers go super early randomly and ultimately the kids were being shortchanged. If you're on time it's not a big deal.

HR and everything there is slow compared to what you're used to but things have improved dramatically since I first went over. Take heart 'cause once you're in the system things run very smoothly.

You'll definitely have no idea where you'll be living and working till you get there. Even ADEC is the same. It's based on where they have a need. Current staff usually gets first choice if there's an opening plus there's the likelihood that positions will open up based on who resigns or is let go in Dec. Flexibility is key! I thought I was flexible till I moved there then I learned what they mean hahaha. Finally there's really not much anyone who has been through this process can tell you to truly prepare you 'cause there are so many factors to consider and it's so different for everyone. Good luck!

Hello Korbie82,

Thank you so much for getting back to me straight away! Really appreciate how quick you replied. Every bit of information helps. Thank you.

I have heard the exact same thing about ADVETI, not a nice company to work for. A lot of online forums are saying the MOE project is just the same as ADEC and ADVETI but just re named and taken over by the MOE. So it is helpful to hear about your experience with ADEC.

I have take note of all your points and it has helped. Especially about the housing situation. MOE have told us that housing allowance is included in wage per month, so we pay the first few months of rent ( with a loan or savings) and then will receive this back through our wages. It would be easier if like your last companies the MOE included accommodation and you didn't have to worry about getting a loan or using your savings up front to sort out your own but companies offer different things. 

Thank you for giving me advice about getting a place that costs no more than two months salary and allow time to save from my salary for next rent payment. Good idea.

Thanks of confirming about the sign in clocks installed. I am on time for work always as I would dread getting any money deducted for lateness.

That is a good piece of advice about 'take heart cause once you're in the system things run smoothly'.

Did you have normal school holidays when you worked for ADEC? The standard 12/13 weeks of a year? As MOE only gives 42 days a year plus public holidays.

May I ask have you got any other advice for a new teacher starting to teach in the UAE? Anything you wish someone told you before you started your work life out there?

Katherine ;) thank you Korbie!

Just read your latest post about flexibility and where I will be posted. Having to wait and find out when I land.  Thank you it helps!

Katherine ;)

I can't speak to the holidays because it's changed since I was hired. When I worked for ADEC  we had 2 or 3  weeks at Christmas(I don't remember honestly), 2 weeks at spring break and 5 weeks for summer. Plus all the Islamic holidays and national day. For me it was plenty of time off. I love to travel and was able to do lots of that. I do know that last school year ADEC took away 1 week from Christmas break and one from spring break for professional development.

Thank you Korbie82 for answering about the holidays. Appreciate it. That is great they gave you most of the holidays and Islamic holidays and national day.

That is great you were able to travel lots and it gave you the freedom to do so.

Thanks for the heads up about ADEC taking away 1 week from the Christmas break and one from spring break.

Thank you you have been so helpful and really have answered all my queries.

Have a lovely Christmas and a great New Year.

Kind regards

Katherine ;)

Hey I'm waiting for my final contract to start in Jan 2017. Have you been sent yours yet?

Who is your agency and where are you from?

I got an email the other day asking if i was okay to book a flight to Abu Dhabi for the 7th of January after waiting a whole load of time.

Oh yeah, i recieved my final contract about a month ago and only recently recieved the entry visa...god willing the rest is smooth sailing 😅

Ohh hopefully mine will come soon then! Good luck with the job!